In the Ear? Really???

image.jpg
270 yards 168gr ABM ammo.

I am new to this forum, so I may not have posted in the right spot. I am looking to do some relatively cheap hog hunting in the Amarillo area. I have never been hog hunting, but I, like most of you want something to do in the off season. We hunt elk & deer and have done so for 40+years, and would like to try hog hunting. If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

I am new to this forum, so I may not have posted in the right spot. I am looking to do some relatively cheap hog hunting in the Amarillo area. I have never been hog hunting, but I, like most of you want something to do in the off season. We hunt elk & deer and have done so for 40+years, and would like to try hog hunting. If anyone can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

pmarkduncan
Go look down about 4-5 threads on the Hog forum and there is a post called "Texas Hogs" by Idaho Elk hunter. He went somewhere down in that area along the Pease River to the Rustic River Ranch and I think he even posted the rates. Didn't seem to be too expensive. Down in the vicinity of Childress, TX as I recall. Close to Amarillo, don't think most of the farmers will let you hunt their land, too many bad experiences with city folk! The hogs cause less problems than idiots with guns.

Also, maybe Coy Franks who posts on here sometimes and lives in that same area, just not as far SE, area knows of something. On the other hand, if you've been reading the posts and have a 4 wheel drive truck, just maybe Coy needs some help running over hogs ....LOL I don't think he's shot one in years, but his young Grandkids have and are coming along fine! Anyway, he checks in ever so often to see what devilment I'm up to, and should be on in the next couple days or so. Keep checking back. I take back what I said about him shooting hogs, djones posted a picture of him and Coy a few months back with a Hog or two.

Anyway, welcome to the site and I'm the unofficial moderator until I finally manage to PO djones who's thread this really is, or irritate LRH and or they both get together and throw me off! Do all my hunting down SW of San Antonio, so really not that familiar with the area you're talking about.

BTW, have you reviewed the products I have available on previous pages...????...:D

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Hey djones, where you at? Doesn't do me a bit of good to hassle you if you're not going to respond. Everyone is waiting to see pictures of those 21 Hogs you got the other night!......:)

You know in some ways you remind me of my Dad. Opinionated, stubborn, unique viewpoint and set in your ways. Give you an example. Dad wanted all us boys to be able to swim, cause he was raised in Missouri and had never learned. So he'd load us up in a old 14' rowboat with an old Evenrude 10 horse, go out the ship channel in Newport Beach, CA and would get about a mile offshore and throw us all overboard and it was up to us to get back to shore.

We learned real quick how to swim! And in fact, once we got out of the gunny sacks, it really wasn't all that hard!........

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Packrat,

Thank you I will look back to find that. I understand about the destruction of property from some folks who just don't care, and I don't blame the farmers/ranchers at all. A few bad apples spoil it for all of us.

Thanks again,

Mark

Well, we hit the 20,000 view mark so pretty soon LRH should start sending out commission checks. Now not really sure whether it's based on views or on total words printed. Sooo, have been keeping up the word count, and djones has been right up there with me since "a picture is worth 1000 words." In fact he may be slightly ahead of me. Getting real words out of him is sort of like trying to do a root canal on a hippopotamus.

And don't even ask about capitalizing words. He things the shift key means he has to change into a slinky slip like women wear!

Well, my wife is finally talking to me again after our ill fated venture with the Wesson oil party. I sure enjoyed the silence of the last week and half or so. Oh yeah, she's walking without a limp too! She got a little irritated with me yesterday, at the accountants office, having our taxes done. The accountant said she was worth $750.00 or so as a write off, and I asked if there was any chance that I could sell, before the price dropped...Got hit with her purse for that.

Second time this week I got hit by someone. Old Biddy at the store was poking, probing and lifting the wings on a stack of fresh broiler chickens they had stacked on a pile of Ice. When she finally opened up the orifice where they had gutted the chicken, stuck her nose in and sniffed, I commented that "Lady, I don't think even you could pass that test", she turned around and hit me with the chicken! The bruise should go away in a week or so. People just don't have any sense of humor!

Well, will check back later and see if there is any new posts or pictures.

Mark, Glad to help. Keep us posted and show some pictures of dead Hogs.

Packrat

Packrat.gif

just glanced at last post and saw something about wesson oil. too busy with the day job for formal response right now...

superdj_zpsi4yyxq5d.jpg

not sure how you got it (paparazzi?), but thanks for sending me the preview. i didn't even know anyone took a picture or i would have posed.

djones,
Just for the record, Papa Razzi was passed out down at the local bar, and Mama Razzi was in the house fooling around with the UPS driver, so used one of his kids to take the picture! Little bandit held me up for a buck for it.

I have read and re-read this several times and wonder if you meant POSTED...rather than posed. Seems to make more sense. I keep telling you that your sloppy and lazy keyboard style is going to get you in trouble, but you don't listen.

BTW, when you coming back? We have lots of people viewing to see some hogs and you decide to take a sabbatical without even letting me know? Heck if necessary, go back to the start of this thread and post the pictures you started out with. Been so long no one will even know and there are some nice hogs back there! Besides, will give me a chance to comment on some of those Pictures that were posted before I was even a member of LRH, which I'm sure that if they knew then, what they know now, they would have denied my application.....:rolleyes:

Actually would be better than posting some pictures that were taken 30 -40 years ago, like you've been doing lately. I think the bell bottom pants were the giveaway!....:D

Packrat

Huge truck with big tires.jpg Doggone it, Coy's truck is right next to the packrat and I hit it again!

Hey, you're back!

Can't say that picture does justice to the intent of it. I mean putting a 90 year old head on a 30 year old body?.......I hate to comment like this, but your face has more miles on it than a used tire!

Packrat!

Packrat.gif

djones
You know all them hogs going to waste got me thinking so contacted some friends in business and got a lead on what to do with them hogs. Now since I can't do it alone, got to run this by you to see what you think before I proceed with it.

Elmer Fudd aka djones..jpg
Click to enlarge

Now since you don't have time to pursue this, am willing to give you 49% since all you have to do is what you're doing now! BTW, what do you think of the shirt? Anyway, we've got to move before next Football season and get settled in before anyone realizes we've taken over the industry! Oh and that prototype I had you make? Well next time leave the ears off! It makes it kind of un-aerodynamical to throw! And sewing the eyes shut isn't going to work again either! AND we've just got to remove the hair! Apparently they weren't impressed with my thoughts of setting a trend with a hairy football!

Get back to me soonest

Packrat

Packrat.gif

To get within range, I had to cross the milo against the rows. Drizzling rain softened the leaves so I could maneuver more quietly, but my movement didn't go unnoticed. Two hogs stood well above the seed heads, and one of them saw me coming. Without delay I fired one shot and put him down, but I stumbled on the stalks while turning to pick up the next one. In my haste to recover, I anxiously spent several more rounds taking down the second. When I approached to survey the damage, I came upon a shorty that was lost, so I helped him find the way out.

milob_zps6061b612.jpg

The next spot had four porkers grazing in a wheat field, two big ones and two little guys. With no cover, I just crept up slowly, but not too close, staying just over 100 yards out. While I was waiting for the two largest to move closer together, the big one looked up and stared right at me.

I hear a lot about how easy hogs are to kill and any caliber will work. All you need to do is shoot it in the ear. Well I'm not that good of a shot, so with only a couple of seconds to fire, I put one in the shoulder. Instead of dropping, he took off. I wasn't expecting that and lost several more seconds bringing him down. By then I was only able to get one more runner. The little ones were so far all I could do was make them zigzag in the distance.

wheat1b_zps9c3fd038.jpg

After I got a look at the size of the bruiser, I realized how he was able to soak up 168 grains in the chest, and that's why I shoot a 30 caliber. I don't think I would have stopped him with a 223, and if you're in a wheat field with a giant wounded boar, retreat is not an option.

wheat2b_zpsb3428b9b.jpg

Now on to the cotton field. One hog meandered amongst a herd of deer on the edge of the circle. Of course the deer spooked when I closed in, which in turn spooked the hog. Since he really didn't know what he was running from, he just went in a few rows, turned and headed my direction. The cotton was tall, but I could see the top of his back as he got closer. I switched on the ir illuminator and caught his eye reflecting back through the leaves. When he presented enough of his head... SPLAT!!! At 25 yards everyone's a marksman.

cottonb_zpsa9fc071d.jpg

I saw three more cross into a corn field, but there were houses in the distance, and I didn't have a clear shot. Many animals survive because there is safety in numbers. Where I hunt hogs, however, a large number means the whole herd is likely to get wiped out. They must be catching on because I never saw patrols of more than three or four pigs all night.

PS - Special thanks to Coy for the tip!

See what I mean..No date stamps on the pictures either! And this was before you started sniveling about not having any friends on face book....AND A WHOLE 22 views....Only thing bad is that cotton is just about ready for picking in the background. of one picture. BUT that can be photo slopped out! Good thing i came along when i did, otherwise you would have lapsed into obscurity!

Darn keyboard is still screwing up so if I miss any "O's" just put them in when you read this. Still have to double tap the "o" key to get it to show up.

Packrat.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.