In the Ear? Really???

You need to write a book or make a movie! These posts get better every time keep up the good work and great stories!

My personal opinion is that they already have a series on TV similar to this. They call it Looney Toons!

Mr. Jones, i am not going to dispute your word that what you claimed is exactly what happened, however I am going to ask how that hog got a FORD tie rod in his mouth? I know you don't have a Ford truck cause if you did, you would have had it in the background of all these pictures since Ford's look so much better than the other trucks....Let me guess, you didn't want a truck distracting from the primary focus of those pictures....you!....:D

Glad to hear that A & M is teaching everyone to go Right, most colleges these days are leaning to the Left.

Nice hogs, but I think you'd better stuff that one on the left, this is the 4th time we've seen him in your pictures and I imagine he's starting to get ripe. Good job.gif

Packrat
BTW, started my own clothing line PAckrat tee shirts.jpg

Mouse.gif

the fatties were grazing in a failed milo field, so I dropped her down a gear and floored it. when she got up to about 50mph I set the cruise and sat in the open window, steering with my feet. the little guy was the slowest and first to go down. then I caught up to the sow and riddled her with bullets. the boar, however, was lean and mean. when I pulled up along side, he rammed the front end, ejecting me out of the cab. I held the rifle high and sacrificed my body to save it. lucky for me I'm tough as nails.

hogs2_zps280ecb81.jpg

the boar got caught up under the suspension and the truck was doing doughnuts on top of him. it was no small feat getting back in and shutting it down. miraculously the boar was still alive, albeit still pinned under the front end. in fact, he bit off a tie rod trying to free himself. now a bullet was too good for him. I introduced his beak to the heel of my boot… about half a dozen times, and that took care of that! only problem was I had to drive home making right turns only. fortunately they teach that at a&m.

link2_zps602f2ded.jpg
First Rebar and now tie rod ends! man where do you get all this cool stuff to prop open the mouths of these hogs? Bet you just picked it up off the ground after you got thrown out the truck. wheel probably spun sideways and the tie rod end went flying!! :D

...you don't have a Ford truck...

I'm pretty hard on trucks, so some of them come and go without ever posing for a pic. I must confess, however, that I had to stop and scoot the front end to the left a couple times on some left curves.

ford_zpsbee4f843.jpg

fortunately the weather wasn't bad enuf to shut down the action. pigs gotta eat and hunters gotta hunt. the temp wasn't so bad, but the stinging sleet in my eyes at 40mph made for a blurry sight picture. the atv goggles were just the ticket. heck I may knock out the windshield and go daktari on them from now on.

temp_zps7a03db6c.jpg

chilly_zps628a06ab.jpg

ps – any pakrat shirts in night camo?

Well, we passed the 12,000 mark on views, but I haven't started receiving any commission checks yet so guess the staff at LRH isn't paying attention to this thread, which is probably for the best!....

Been busy the last few days, seems we have a Mountain Lion stalking the neighborhood. People have been missing a lot of cats and in a couple of cases, small dogs that have been let out to do their thing just before everyone goes to bed. It had been sighted a few times, and last Wednesday night, I walked out and was leaning on the wall that encloses the front of my courtyard and caught a glimpse of something coming down the street. Thought it might be a Coyote, so just held still and watched and it stopped across the street, looked at me then walked on across the neighbor's driveway across the street and when it got close to the garage lights saw it was about a half grown Mountain lion with what looked to be a cat in its mouth. It walked casually, like it owned the place, ducked around the wall and headed out into the retention basin in the green belt.

At the emergency HOA meeting Friday night, people were asking me and John, an avid hunter about what we could do. Game Dept. had been called and they said keep the small animals and children inside at night…Lots of help there! We explained to the HOA board that we live in a region where Firearms are not allowed to be shot at all, and the only hunting allowed by the state in this area is Bow hunting at certain times of the year.

For those that don't know, Tucson and this region have a major problem with Mountain Lions coming down from the mountains in winter and are taking pets, small animals, etc, even in town. Even been cases where joggers were stalked by the cats while jogging. Again, where all the problems are occurring, are in no shooting zones.

Anyway John and I told them we'd look into it and see what we could do. BUT if we resolve the problem, we didn't want any static from the board or the goodie two shoes homeowners living in the project. Outside, I told John that with my cataracts, I hadn't even taken out an AZ hunting license this year, just a Texas license for hogs. He said fine, he'd get the tag and we'd try to take the Lion down. Now game Department section 38M, where we live, is Bow hunting only for Mountain lion. In 18 years the game dept. had issued 162 permits for bow hunting mountain lions and in that same time only 2 had been taken by Bow. We decided that an ambush would be the best way to get him and decided that my house was better situated because of the way the houses were sited and the masonry walls could be used to channel him in.

A number of years ago, someone had given me a 150 # aluminum frame crossbow, one of the cheap ones that used to be common in Sporting Goods stores before crossbow hunting became popular. I dug it out and found a half dozen Stainless steel broad heads that I had in the bottom of the case and changed out the points on the bolts. Saturday night, John came over and we planned our strategy and were trying to figure out what to use to bait him in. John said he'd handle it and came back Sunday afternoon with a high grade portable recorder on which he'd recorded some very PO'd cat yowls and hissing. Asked him how he'd got it and he said he'd live trapped one of the Feral cats in the neighborhood and when it wouldn't cooperate, started poking it with a stick while it was in the cage. Then he edited it. That was one PO'd cat from the yowls and hissing… sounded like a full fledged cat brawl. I asked about the cat and he'd let it go when he had his recording. Anyway we put it on about a 10 minute playback loop and figured we go for it Monday night. I advised the neighbors behind me and they all said OK and the neighbor that lived next door with his house forming the channel had gone to Chicago or somewhere for Christmas and wasn't home so no problem there. BTW, was also wearing a .357 Mag just in case.

Monday night about 6:00 we set up the trap. My double Garage doors face sideways towards the neighbor's house so I opened them and turned out the lights. There is a 10' removable gate to my backyard and John showed up with a 65# compound that I've seen him hit consistently 10" circles at 40 yds in his backyard. He wanted to be back beyond the gate opening, in the dark, with the recorder behind him on a small table. I was back into the garage about 15' and holding the cocked and loaded crossbow. Maximum range if the lion walked into the channel was about 25 yds for either one of us. In the meantime, we were freezing. About 38 degrees and to Arizonan's that's Arctic Circle temperatures. Colder than a penguin's posterior.

About 10:15 the lion materialized at the corner of the neighbors house. That's the only way I can describe it! One micro second he wasn't there and the next micro second he was. I was slowly raising the crossbow and had it almost sighted when I heard the recorder yowl, saw a steak over the lions head and one micro second he was there, the next micro second he was gone. Didn't even see him move! No shot!....****! They are fast!

John, fairly nervous, had the lion sighted in, was starting his release when the doggone recorder went off behind him and startled him. That arrow went over the lions head by about 4" just missed its tail and hit the driveway and skittered out into the street. John had wanted that cat sooooo bad, it was on his bucket list for hunting. That lion disappeared so fast I swear he left his shadow from the garage lights sitting there. Later measurements showed that it wasn't a full grown mountain lion as the shadow only weighed 8 pounds by itself.

I did learn one thing though. Cat yowl recordings will draw Mountain Lions into range! Am thinking it will work on coyotes? Gotta try!

Postscript: We went out last night and set up in the greenbelt area back to back with a screaming rabbit call and about 11:00 heard what sounded like a 12 Ga going off over in the newest section of the development about ¼ mile away. George, across the street came back from his early morning walk this morning and told me that the mountain lion had been looking through a sliding glass door at a yapping dog in a bedroom. The homeowner, a retired Army Major, saw it, grabbed HER shotgun, went through the house, slowly opened the Kit door a couple of inches and blasted it about in half with double ought buck! Not only about blew the ML in half, but damaged her garage and the masonry wall behind it. Don't know if it was the same one, but will see! Everyone so far has chosen to disregard the shotgun blast once they saw why.

I know djones, no picture no credit. …Sigh! Gonna try to see if we can call in some Yotes over the next few weeks, but we have an ice storm coming in tonight so will have to delay for a while. Colder than a witches chest around here now!

Packrat
Mouse.gif

The POed domestic cat on my turbo dog works great for feral cats and stray dogs....never thought about using on MLs.....

Quote: djones I'm pretty hard on trucks, so some of them come and go without ever posing for a pic. I must confess, however, that I had to stop and scoot the front end to the left a couple times on some left curves. end quote

What you need is not another truck, but one of these:
Hovercraft v-8.jpg
Cost about $12,000 to build, but still cheaper than a truck. goes over land, water, mud, snow, etc. Air cushion keeps you about 9" above the ground, and come in all sizes up to 12 persons. This one happens to be a 6 person, the one my son and I ordered the plans to, since we already had a Subaru Turbo charged engine out of a Subaru SVX that was rolled.

There has been something bothering me about the pictures that you have posted since this thread started. I finally after analyzing all the pictures what it was. Those hogs just aren't that big, you are only about 5'-2" tall! Oh well, don't worry about it. When I first went into the Army, right after graduation from High School, I was the absolute minimum height for entrance. I wrote home about a year later and told my parents that since joining the Army, I had grown a foot. From then on, they started sending 3 socks!.....:rolleyes:

Quote: djones: ps – any pakrat shirts in night camo?
Won't know until LRH responds with their first order and I see what pattern they want! It takes a while to color in all those camo patterns, but have gotten plain white down to a science.....:)

Packrat

Mouse.gif

Quote: djones I’m pretty hard on trucks, so some of them come and go without ever posing for a pic. I must confess, however, that I had to stop and scoot the front end to the left a couple times on some left curves. end quote

What you need is not another truck, but one of these:

Cost about $12,000 to build, but still cheaper than a truck. goes over land, water, mud, snow, etc. Air cushion keeps you about 9" above the ground, and come in all sizes up to 12 persons. This one happens to be a 6 person, the one my son and I ordered the plans to, since we already had a Subaru Turbo charged engine out of a Subaru SVX that was rolled.

There has been something bothering me about the pictures that you have posted since this thread started. I finally after analyzing all the pictures what it was. Those hogs just aren't that big, you are only about 5'-2" tall! Oh well, don't worry about it. When I first went into the Army, right after graduation from High School, I was the absolute minimum height for entrance. I wrote home about a year later and told my parents that since joining the Army, I had grown a foot. From then on, they started sending 3 socks!.....:rolleyes:

Quote: djones: ps – any pakrat shirts in night camo?
Won't know until LRH responds with their first order and I see what pattern they want! It takes a while to color in all those camo patterns, but have gotten plain white down to a science.....:)

Packrat

I only gained 6" in basic. ....

The POed domestic cat on my turbo dog works great for feral cats and stray dogs....never thought about using on MLs.....

I think the reason it works around here is that the ML's have adopted them as a natural food source. Have heard the same thing about yotes, but never even thought about hunting them here until the last couple of days. The darn yotes apparently read the regulations and know that as long as they stay close to a housing development, they can't be shot at. Got a surprise coming for them, but may have to get me a better crossbow!
(or a silencer)...Shhhhh!

Packrat

Mouse.gif

I think the reason it works around here is that the ML's have adopted them as a natural food source. Have heard the same thing about yotes, but never even thought about hunting them here until the last couple of days. The darn yotes apparently read the regulations and know that as long as they stay close to a housing development, they can't be shot at. Got a surprise coming for them, but may have to get me a better crossbow!
(or a silencer)...Shhhhh!

Packrat

Don't get too good of a crossbow.....tacticool the heck outa what you have lol....I wouldn't want one thats super fast incase of a miss don't want them bolts comin through somebody's house ....get you a 25 Cal pellet gun with a silencer!

Don't get too good of a crossbow.....tacticool the heck outa what you have lol....I wouldn't want one thats super fast incase of a miss don't want them bolts comin through somebody's house ....get you a 25 Cal pellet gun with a silencer!

pellet gun??? how bout a .22lr can with subs. I kicked them out of my shop about 2x a week. the click of the pin falling, mouse fart, and then the thud of the bullet hitting the target. byby kitty.

you ought to get that shadow stuffed, I have never seen one that big!:D

Tried to get a picture of it, but the flash on the camera washed it out. Later the sun evaporated it....darn! I do hope you realize that it was only an estimate since we had to pick it up in pieces to weigh it. It may have gone much more, but not sure we got all the pieces....Might have set a Boone and Crockett record if we could have saved it.........:D

Packrat

Sharp Shooter.gif..........................................Here kitty, kitty Kitty......

We better get back to hog hunting before djones gets his feeling hurt. Got to feed the poor guy's ego to keep this thread going. At least until we start receiving some royalty checks for the number of views.............:D

Heeeerrrre Pigs.....Feral Hog (3).jpg Soooey!...ROFL

Packrat

Mouse.gif

Happy New Years Mouse.jpg

My new years resolution is to not hassle djones so much this coming year! LOL.....RFL....Right!......Sure.....LMAO....uh huh!.....:D

So much for New Years resolutions...already gave that one up and it's not even New Years yet, where I am!

Lets try again...

Animated-Happy-New-Year-banner-in-truck.gif!

This coming year i will believe everthing djones says....He-heh...OMG my stomach hurts for laughing about this one....

Last try

Aw forget it, no New years resolutions for me..Am having too much fun on this thread.

New year.gif

Everyone have a better 2015 than 2014, regardless of your circumstances!

Packrat

Mouse.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.