In the Ear? Really???

No luck this morning. The corn left in the traps from yesterday was untouched.

DJ - I took my Benelli M4 shotgun with 00 buck this morning to document the carnage, but it will have to wait for another day.

If my schedule allows, I'll head down again tomorrow morning.

stay on 'em!! i had one last night but he ran off. tracked him over 200 yards and quit when he got to the heavy stuff. found blood and bone, but no hog. will try again tonight. who knows, may even get it on vid.

by the way... what ever happened to the international man of mystery?

mystery_zpsskzidbou.jpg

Ya wondering that myself have you looked out your windows lately he may be just peering through your windows. That way he gets to be close to you without talking to you.

Looks like y'all have been trying to cut the numbers down pretty good. Since I haven't been able to get down to my club for a couple of years until the last of this season, the guys have been on me for that a little while.

About 6 or 8 years ago, an older gentleman told me about a trick that the farmers were using. It involved putting dry grape cool-aid in a hole like a post hole about 8 to 12" deep and covering it up. They said that the hogs would blow a hole after a few nights that looked like you blew a big stump. They were adding poison to it to get rid of as many as possible. We had been talking about doing it without the poison.

Has anyone heard of using grape cool aid or anything other than mash or out of date bread (damp area) to bait with?

Our season is all year. They are varmints and they want as many disposed of as possible.

I wish that the yote's would eat the poisoned pigs, but we haven't seen any sign of that unless the pigs are going deep into the swamp before they die.

We can night hunt for them, but the laws are so confusing that it isn't done very much here. You can't use rifles, you can use pistols. You can use lights, but not attached to the weapon, or something like that and more. Maybe they've changed them some in the last couple of years.

With the floods this year, almost nobody got their P-nuts in, so they ought to grow a bunch this year and we already had some pretty healthy hogs.

Any tricks on baiting would be appreciated. We usually use logs to build our traps so that the metal sound doesn't bother them. We catch twice as many in the big log traps than the metal or the fence wire traps.

Any tips will be appreciated, Paul

Last edited:
Or maybe that one a hole hurt his feelings. You know the one that thought we need to grow up and talk only about pigs

If DJ couldn't run Pack off with all of the insults, I doubt the other guy could.

There were no hogs in the traps this morning. I had my camera and my shotgun ready but the corn had not been touched since I threw some out yesterday morning. I may try again on Saturday morning.

Looks like y'all have been trying to cut the numbers down pretty good. Since I haven't been able to get down to my club for a couple of years until the last of this season, the guys have been on me for that a little while.

About 6 or 8 years ago, an older gentleman told me about a trick that the farmers were using. It involved putting dry grape cool-aid in a hole like a post hole about 8 to 12" deep and covering it up. They said that the hogs would blow a hole after a few nights that looked like you blew a big stump. They were adding poison to it to get rid of as many as possible. We had been talking about doing it without the poison.

Has anyone heard of using grape cool aid or anything other than mash or out of date bread (damp area) to bait with?

Our season is all year. They are varmints and they want as many disposed of as possible.

I wish that the yote's would eat the poisoned pigs, but we haven't seen any sign of that unless the pigs are going deep into the swamp before they die.

We can night hunt for them, but the laws are so confusing that it isn't done very much here. You can't use rifles, you can use pistols. You can use lights, but not attached to the weapon, or something like that and more. Maybe they've changed them some in the last couple of years.

With the floods this year, almost nobody got their P-nuts in, so they ought to grow a bunch this year and we already had some pretty healthy hogs.

Any tricks on baiting would be appreciated. We usually use logs to build our traps so that the metal sound doesn't bother them. We catch twice as many in the big log traps than the metal or the fence wire traps.

Any tips will be appreciated, Paul

scpaul,

Here is the DNR link for you:

SCDNR - Night Hunting

When I bait for hogs, I throw corn absolutely everywhere. I'll stop by Wal Mart or Tractor Supply Store and get 3 or 4 bags and cover the ground. I do this instead of pouring it into one pile since it is easier to scan the sounder for hogs I want to shoot when they are spread out over a wide area instead of having them congregate in one spot.

Before I got NV and thermal, I used plastic buckets that have been outside for a while (to get rid of the new smell) when stand hunting. I'd place 3 buckets in a triangle, then balance a 4th on top of the 3. Whenever I heard plastic buckets falling over, I know the hogs were there.

I've also used post hold differs to dig a shaft that I would fill with corn. I would also put 2' - 3' pieces of logs or firewood over the shaft so the hogs would have to work harder to get the corn. I do this when I'm checking several spots a night, since it seems to keep the hogs in one place longer than if I just pored it out on the ground.

Do you have any photos of the log traps you could share?

Where's the packrat and his big story?? I'm getting wore out waiting!!!

Sorry guys, have been exceptionally busy with fighting off the womenfolk that want me to father their children. Am still busy, but will get into the site in the next couple of days and tell you the story of the gunfight. Actually wasn't a gunfight, but the other guy did leave a trail of brown residue as he hurriedly unassed the area when I responded in kind. Don't ever PO a Vietnam vet, they do know how to respond with superior firepower.

Got to go, gals waiting and having to issue them a number...........Yea, right!

Explanation later!

Packrat

Packrat.gif

Sorry guys, have been exceptionally busy with fighting off the womenfolk that want me to father their children. Am still busy, but will get into the site in the next couple of days and tell you the story of the gunfight. Actually wasn't a gunfight, but the other guy did leave a trail of brown residue as he hurriedly unassed the area when I responded in kind. Don't ever PO a Vietnam vet, they do know how to respond with superior firepower.

Got to go, gals waiting and having to issue them a number...........Yea, right!

Explanation later!

Packrat

View attachment 56669

He lives!

Scrambler, I've got some pic's on my phone, but it's a flip phone (yes, I'm a high tech "Red Neck"). If you would go to my email and give me a phone number that I could send them to, I'd be glad to. I don't know if it's me or the phone, but so far all I've been able to do is send 1 at a time. I've got some different angles of it and I don't know how many are left. If you want to, you can post them.

My email is [email protected]

I've sent pics to a smart phone once before and it surprised me how good they came out. I don't know which smart phone it was, but they looked good.

I check my email pretty often, so you may get them the same day.

Later, Paul

P.S. I just looked and only saw 2 pics.

Last edited:
finally got the dvr connected to the scope and managed to get a couple hogs on video.
first spot only had 5 hogs and we got 3.
[ame="https://youtu.be/0xv4u_mcoEw"]https://youtu.be/0xv4u_mcoEw[/ame]
covert1_zpsbqlhdw3i.jpg

next spot had about a thousand hogs
[ame="https://youtu.be/M-Xe5ftXkzI"]https://youtu.be/M-Xe5ftXkzI[/ame]

we snuck a little closer and set up. even though my buddy was only one step to my right, he had a completely different view. it took a few moments before we both were comfortable with our first shots.
[ame="https://youtu.be/Qob-IuQ10qE"]https://youtu.be/Qob-IuQ10qE[/ame]

just when i thought the action was over, i noticed movement at the back of the trees. we snuck closer and must have spooked them. they weren't running hard so we held our fire hoping we could catch them for a better opportunity, but they didn't stop and we didn't get any more shots.
[ame="https://youtu.be/2HrKujr4BMQ"]https://youtu.be/2HrKujr4BMQ[/ame]

after all that we only got three.

covert2_zps6ut65hi1.jpg

Bacon! Cool video DJ!

What recorder do you use? I've got an Armasight thermal & I'm waiting until my wife visits family before breaking it out of the gun safe to play with.

No activity in the hog traps in almost a week. I guess we've culled all the dumb ones. I'll check again in the morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.