• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED In search of 223 WSSM

Physhstyx

I picked up in a trade a beautiful Weatherby chambered in 223 WSSM . It has a Custom barrel and is supposed to be a shooter. Round count is less than 50. I know there were a lot of problems with this caliber but I want to try it anyway. I can always install a new barrel later inf needed in 300 WSM.

So I am looking for loaded ammo in 223 WSSM or preferred "New brass". I will take once fired brass if it is cheap. I am pretty sure Winchester was the only manufacture of this round and had problems with consistency in the brass. The brass I currently have is once fired and mars the case when chambered. I am not sure yet as why. Some chamber smoothly and others are tough to close the bolt. I full length sized all of these and will give it a go. loading at the bottom of the chart to start, with a slow powder.

Any help with brass or insight to this caliber will be helpful.

Thanks
Larry

I picked up in a trade a beautiful Weatherby chambered in 223 WSSM . It has a Custom barrel and is supposed to be a shooter. Round count is less than 50. I know there were a lot of problems with this caliber but I want to try it anyway. I can always install a new barrel later inf needed in 300 WSM.

So I am looking for loaded ammo in 223 WSSM or preferred "New brass". I will take once fired brass if it is cheap. I am pretty sure Winchester was the only manufacture of this round and had problems with consistency in the brass. The brass I currently have is once fired and mars the case when chambered. I am not sure yet as why. Some chamber smoothly and others are tough to close the bolt. I full length sized all of these and will give it a go. loading at the bottom of the chart to start, with a slow powder.

Any help with brass or insight to this caliber will be helpful.

Thanks
Larry

I have had great results from the 223 WSSM and great accuracy. The little case (Short) helps control burn rate and has a good flame front.

The WSSMs as similar to the PPCs and we all know how they perform.

Most people chose a fast twist barrel and there in lies the problem because at the speed the 223 WSSM produces, bullets get over rotated and lose stability and sometimes the bullet jacket.

Lighter bullets (35 to 55 grains) works well, and a 1 in 14 twist is recommended because of the speed.

I liked the 223 WSSM so much , I built one to find out what It could do. It has a 1 in 15 twist and I have exceeded 4500 ft/sec velocity with no bullet problems.

The best Factory ammo I have found is the Black box Winchester supreme with the ballistic silver tip.

J E CUSTOM