Improved 700 sps varmit accuracy

captainmike73

I bought a H-S Precision Stock for my new Remington 700 SPS Varmit .308. Spent the day shooting the factory stock with 3 different loads best group was about 3/4". Then I went Home switch to the H-S stock went back to the range the next morning with the same loads. All loads shot better than the day before. My best group was under 1/4" almost the same hole at 100 yards. At 200 the rifle shot just under 1". much Improved from the factory plastic stock. Although I like the feel and the look of the factory stock, I thnk the H-S stock will stay. Any other sugestion to improve my accuacy any better?
mikegun)

I was thinking about bedding it. its defently free floating right now. I'm thinking it may help a little to bed it.
Mike

Keep the barrel free floated and simply skim bed the action. However, if it shoots groups in the 1/2MOA range the way it is, it's probably not worth bedding. Unbedded stocks have greater resale value as well.

AJ

Shot my 308 today and then changed the stock to a h s stock. Groups went from 1/2 in to a ragged hole that looked almost like one bullet hole. I would say try some 175 smk's and varget and see what it will do. I can't wait to see what she will do at 500 yards next weekend. oldfamily.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.