Importance of parallax adjustment on scope

LPRoad

The only precision shooting I have done to date has been with air rifles and .22 rifles. In the air rifle group particularly AO scopes are the norm. I did find however, that by using a tyrolean style stock which pretty much positioned my head exactly each time, I could be competitive with a non AO scope.

I will soon be purchasing a 6.5 cal rifle for informal target shooting to 600 yards and hunting. One of the scopes in my price range (a Steiner) does not have parallax adjustment. The Leupold VX-3 scopes I am also looking at come with no parallax adjustment as well as AO and side focus. The non parallax adjustment scopes are cheaper. Should I rule out the non parallax adjusting scopes? Or is the range and type of shooting I am interested in doing such that parallax adjustment would not really be that important.

The only precision shooting I have done to date has been with air rifles and .22 rifles. In the air rifle group particularly AO scopes are the norm. I did find however, that by using a tyrolean style stock which pretty much positioned my head exactly each time, I could be competitive with a non AO scope.

I will soon be purchasing a 6.5 cal rifle for informal target shooting to 600 yards and hunting. One of the scopes in my price range (a Steiner) does not have parallax adjustment. The Leupold VX-3 scopes I am also looking at come with no parallax adjustment as well as AO and side focus. The non parallax adjustment scopes are cheaper. Should I rule out the non parallax adjusting scopes? Or is the range and type of shooting I am interested in doing such that parallax adjustment would not really be that important.

It is dependent of the magnification of the scope.

Parallax become important at long range. I would get one with a side focus parallax adjustment. Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Which if you plan to shoot far, you will need it. You will notice most who are serious about long range will have a parallax adjustable scope.

If you can position your head the same every time behind the eye piece then you don't need PA. But if you want to get the most out of your weapon system then it would be nice to have PA so you can remove that error.

If Leupold makes a VX3 3-15, or 4-20 I've never seen one. But, setting that aside, if you're going to spend good money on a scope (and Leupold scopes are not cheap) then buy one with parallax adjustment. It doesn't make sense, IMO, to do it any other way.
Buying a scope without a parallax adjustment is like buying a good quality camera and having no way of controlling depth of field. "Infinity" is a crap shoot ........................

I have scopes with and without parallax adjustment. It depends on what you use it for. Long range and targets I want the parallax adjustment. For just a standard deer rifle you are not planning to shoot over 300 or 400 yrs its just something else to mess with.

On my deer rifle I have a vx-6 2X12. no parallax adjustment, thick crosshairs and illumination. One less thing to worry with when you are taking the shot. South Georgia so 300 yrds would be a long shot. If you had a parallax adjustment and were like me playing around in the stand looking at things way off and suddenly realized there was a deer 75 yrds out in the corn field there you are with the parallax focused at 500 yrs and you swing over there on that deer and its a blur.

On the other hand if I am at the range I have the vx-6 4X24 and 6X42 fine crosshairs and no illumination Tmoa. I want to have parallax adjustment and be able to focus in on that target to max clarity. Same if I am taking a long range shot at game. I use one of these scopes.

The scopes without parallax adjustment have a deeper depth of focus where the parallax adjusted scopes have a much narrower and clearer depth of focus. Both have their place.

I have a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. When I hunt the woods I set it on about 150-200 and forget it. Also I set the magnification on 4X. When and if there is a further shot and time allows, I might fiddle with it. Most certainly it is clear enough if set on the wrong setting.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.