I'm confused, which 6.5?

You choice is a good one. I have had great succes with the 6.5x284 with outstanding accuracy and terminal performance with several one shot kills out to 1000 yards. Used for hunting, barrel life is academic.

How is the 6.5-06 on barrels?

I have a 6.5-06 AI that has about 1500 rounds down the tube and it is still an honest 1/2" gun at 100 and still shoots 8" at 1000 if I do my part. It has been put away in the safe for when my boys get a little older. I have since built a new 6.5-06AI. I use lapua brass for mine. Velocities are a bit better than the 6.5-284. I am running mine at 3105 with the 140 JLK's out of a 27" tube. The 6.5-284 is an awesome cartridge. If you want factory brass and a very accurate rig with minimal load development you can't go wrong with it.

A year ago I was going thru the same process as you are now, I choose the 6.5-.284.
Absolutely no regrets. You can pick it with confidence.

I went through the same pain as you. I just couldn't find anything wrong with the 6.5x284. To tell the truth, I had never even heard of it before. After doing some research, I was very impressed. There are just soooo many calibers to choose from. But what do I know....I just ordered mine 15 minutes ago! I'm still a little confused, but I am positive that I made the right choice...I think:)

Spotter Bob

The 6.5x284 is a fun cartridge. Very accurate, very low recoil, and readily available brass. I just bought mine about 6 months ago and am very happy I did. I just shot it at 500yds 2 weeks ago and there is no doubt the gun is better than I am. Still shot a 6" group at that range. Loaded with 140vld's, 51.5 grns of H4831sc.. It was very easy to work the load up. Fun, fun, fun. You will not regret your purchase.

My shooting buddy has a 260 Remington and it is a tack driver. We shoot out to a thousand yards pretty regularly. I recently shot the best group of my life with his gun. I put 5 shots in a group size of .34 inches at 100 yards. The rifle is heavy and has a suppressor on it, so the recoil is very very minimal. Even when he was just shooting it with a brake it was very tame. The only downside is that when the wind kicks up the 139gr Scenars that he shoots get tougher to place in the right spot.

I just traded my savage model ten 223 for a Remington 700 in .204 ruger and 360 rounds of ammo for it..as soon as I burn them up I'm getting a new stock and barrel for the short action 700 and goin with the 6.5x47 lapua...

I know I may be over thinking this, but....
I am dropping off my 6.5 build today and am having second thoughts on caliber. I am building this on a long action and my original thoughts were 6.5x284. Is there something else I should consider.
I will be attempting to punch paper and gongs at 1000 and also deer sized game at the same distance or closer.
Not trying to start a full fledged debate, just a simple good or bad experience.
Thought? Thanks!

I've had my 6.5 Sherman for around 1200-1300 rounds now and it still shoots 1/4" groups. It will out perform any of the .470 head cases and case life is very good if you keep it below 3150'. It will make 3200' with a 26" barrel and 140's but case life is short at that pressure.I have the reamer if you are interested. Ballistics are identical to the WSM.....Rich

I have a 6.5 WSM that is incredible!

I ordered the action for my 6.5WSM build last week, BugHoles made me a fantastic deal on a new Stiller.... Merry Christmas to me!

I also play with the 6.5-06AI, great round as well & seems to be very easy to load for.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.