If you were going to.........

Shortgrass: I have "made" more than a dozen "custom" Varmint Rifles in the past 40 years.
In many calibers, from 17 Remington up to 6mm Remington Ackley Improved.
Considering everything... I wouldn't even consider making a custom Varminter these days!
They are just WAY to expensive for me anymore - and nowadays I am getting splendid accuracy from factory Varminters.
I would much rather spend my money on a factory heavy barrel Rifle in caliber 204 Ruger.
I have six factory Varminters in caliber 204 Ruger and they all shoot exceptionally well!
AND... the 204 Ruger does everything I have ever asked it to do in the world of Varminting.
I really enjoy my Varmint Rifles in caliber 220 Swift (I have seven of these) but the reduced recoil, longer shot strings, less barrel wear, less noise to disturb Colony Varmints, longer brass life and SPLENDID accuracy of my 204's has me passing up 220 Swifts these days.
Be sure and consider a factory heavy barrel 204 Ruger before you lay out the bug bucks.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Varmintguy, I wouldn't even consider a 20 or 17 in the part of the US I live in. You'd have 12-15 days that the wind wasn't just "eatin' ya' up", and those days you might be at work instead of where you'd rather be. They just don't push enough bullet weight. Many, if not most days, any bullet lighter than 60g from a high intensity .22 isn't enough. Now, go back and read the thread carefully.

From a practical standpoint, I probably wouldn't consider building a .220 Swift. As mentioned, a 22-250 AI will do the same thing, with better brass availability. If not a 22-250 AI, then perhaps a 22x47, 22-243, or 22-6mm. In any of the four, an eight or nine twist would seem to be the way to go. I have a 12 twist 22-250 that shoots 69 grain SMK's very well, but it will probably get a 9 twist and melonite the next time around.

One question that I have had for quite awhile is: At what point would you be better off stepping up to a 6mm of some kind, rather than a fast twist, high intensity, .22 centerfire? I don't personally have much experience with the 6mm's, so I don't have a good answer, but it does seem to me like a fair question.

When it comes to these things, though, sometimes the practical choice just isn't what a person wants or is interested in. Sometimes "just because" is what is driving the train. In a case like that, the customer needs to understand that there will be tradeoffs involved, most of which will equate to greater expense and a longer timeline. If the client is willing to accept the tradeoffs, and commit to them up front in a way that won't leave you high and dry if they change their mind, does any of this really matter?

If you were going to build a new varmint rig today, all things considered (brass/ammo being the main ones), would you even consider the .220 Swift?

I'd say yes. I've owned a couple of .220 Swifts they all shot great and were extremely and inherently accurate. Most the time (95%) I shot a 55gr Nosler BT in a hand load for Coyotes, the performance out to 400 & 500 yards on yotes was right on par with what you'd expect from the .220 Swift.
It was very easy to load for, I got very good barrel life from them, as long as you clean bores and kept them clean. Brass held up very well.
Bottom line; it's a fun cartridge to shoot and of course a classic.
Cheer's

I have been varmint hunting since about 1960 and have owned 3-swifts, several 22 250's including a 22 250 Ackley{same ballistics as a swift]even a .257 wby in a Ruger No.1 87 gr bullet at 3900 fps.All were excellent varmint guns. But if you are in a praire dog town they get very hot very fast and most shots you will not see the hit because of recoil.I have learned that bigger is not always better.The last 6-7 years I have been using a couple of .204's in a savage and custom barreled No.1 with 39 gr. bullets, then I have the praire dog destroyer,ar-15 in tactical .20 custom made with a schilen 24" barrel. I can shoot the first 2 -30 rd mags as fast as I can target them then about 10 rounds per minute until they get scarce, and those 20s will match the big .22s for distance and bucking the wind. But in the end it gets down to what you want! It's all good.

If you really are prepared to build one your way and you want to go BIG with a small bullet, I highly recommend my .22 Vais which is built on the 6.5 x 55 Swede. That brass is easier to find than .220 Swift and you should not build a custom gun nowadays without having ALL the components you need for the lifetime of that stick.

I shoot 80 grain Bergers at at 3650 fps with extreme accuracy.It is a 1000 yd groundhog killer with WHOCK transmitting all the way to the shooter. It is a switch barrel with the big brother looking exactly like it, only a 6.

It is a 7.5 x 55 throwing 105 g Bergers. Extremely dangerous to 1300 yds or better. Most previous .220 Swift fun ( I am old and was there for it) was at .204 distances that cannot compare to my new world. I throw these at 3300 fps.

IMHO, case selection should be the second or third consideration.

#1 - pick a bullet or three, decide how fast you want to push the projectile

#2/#3 - Barrel with twist rate necessary to take advantage of said bullet(s) previously picked.

#2/#3 - Pick a case/parent case that provides case capacity that will propel the projectile(s) at your velocity required.

#4 - Study ANY and ALL ballistic tables and similar cartridges.

#5 - Die availability???

I only differ from you till the "Pick a Case" part. I don't just want a case that throws the chosen projectile at chosen speed but want an inherently accurate cartridge that is based quite a bit on the case. It is the foundation and if not the best, cannot be improved by having everything else at 100%.

I still say if you cannot afford to buy a lifetime of brass and components, don't even start because counting on continuation of components is a fools dream.

Die availability must mean standard chambering since you can get dies cut any way you can afford,

Going through this exercise for hunting purposes and extreme accuracy uses are two different exercises. I am in the later camp and have most of my bench guns firing 3 shot groups from .08 to .17.

Even quarter inch rifles will not work for me.

IMHO, case selection should be the second or third consideration.

#1 - pick a bullet or three, decide how fast you want to push the projectile

#2/#3 - Barrel with twist rate necessary to take advantage of said bullet(s) previously picked.

#2/#3 - Pick a case/parent case that provides case capacity that will propel the projectile(s) at your velocity required.

#4 - Study ANY and ALL ballistic tables and similar cartridges.

#5 - Die availability???

Die

Maybe I'm not a true hunter/shooter, but I kinda just like to see whats out there, pick a commercially available caliber, and buy components and shoot.

I know, I could be developing the latest hyper-velocity varmint grenade, but I just enjoy shooting too much.

I mean, a 22X50 BMG with wasp waist bullets at mach 14 sounds really cool, but I have other things to do with my time.

Larry
Tinkerer

Let me put it this way. Yes, I would build another 220 Swift because. It is the same as having a 69 camaro with a ZL-1 427. It may not be the fastest anymore but it is still fast. When someone ask you what is under the hood or what are you shooting and you tell them, they go wow. Most guys now days have never seen a 427 or a 220 Swift. Some have never, even heard of one. The Swift is fast and accurate and a clasic.

I am completely surprized at the number who would build despite that fact that no ammo or brass is available at this time. Who knows when ammo/brass will be on the shelves? Could be a good long time before it is. If you haven't got new brass set aside you could end up just looking at your new rifle, not shooting it!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.