Idaho Unit 27

cougeyes

New to the forum and am trying to seek information from all available sources regarding hunting mule deer in Unit 27 in Idaho. I am thinking about doing the Nov 1-18th hunt this fall but so far know little about the unit other than it is rugged, steep, and not many roads due to its remoteness and wilderness boundary. From my understanding the deer densities aren't that high compared to other units, but the success rate appears to be high for this hunt.

Does anyone on here have any experience hunting that unit for mule deer that they would be willing to share? I've been looking over the maps and google earth,but local knowledge of the area goes a lot further. I wouldn't be flying into an airstrip and will be driving the roads in as far as possible and taking off on foot Thanks for any info.

I spent about 10 years knocking around unit 27. Spent most of my time in the Indian Creek and Pistol Creek drainage's( accessed via Yellowpine ) down to the Middle Fork hunting elk. Unit 27 is not the best choice in Idaho for deer unless you can get down along the Middle Fork of the Salmon. That takes either a fly in or horses. There are a few deer scattered all over 27 but the best hunting would be along the river in the breaks

Unit 27 in November can get pounded with snow and once the ground freezes up watch it especially if you are down towards the Middle Fork with horses. It can be a real race with mother nature to get out of there. Been there done that!

Now there is some access to the Middle Fork country from the Challis side via Panther Creek. I have never personally came in that way but know a retired outfitter who used to guide that country in November and was very successful taking good mule deer bucks.

The wolfs have knocked the elk herds in there but I don't know what affect they have had on the deer. Maybe someone more up to date can chime in. Good luck!

I use to hunt that area alot, Not as much game as there used to be. As stated earlier one day could be nice and then next trying to hurry and get out before you are snowed in. And yes,there has been people having to leave their vehicles there. Diamond D ranch is the only place there, plus a small air strip. very rugged and steep mountains. Check the regulations on the deer. You can only shoot, if my memory is correct, either a 3 or 4 point or larger.

I would not count on getting anywhere in unit 27 in November on the few roads that exist. I have been in there in the first week of October when there was already enough snow to make us think twice about getting snowed in. The only place I think you could reliably access by road would be on the North Fork road down the main Salmon river to mouth of the middle fork.

Maybe you could drive to a point and then take a snowmobile on the road but once you get to lower elevations with almost no snow you are stuck. By November the majority of the deer have moved to winter range and lower elevations along the middle fork and larger tributaries. The best option for the late hunt is to fly in, several places offer fly-in plus return trip for $400-500.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.