Idaho Mulie---very nice

mtnwrunner

I wished that I could say that I had shot this but............................
A friend of mine got this beauty opening day and his story is:
He had hiked to the top of this mountain that he had done some preseason scouting where he had seen a few nice deer. He goes up the night before (about 3 miles in) and he bivvies underneath a huge pine tree waiting for opening morning. He is way above timberline and Idaho has had some early snow up high so he is sleeping on his plastic tarp in about 6 to 8 inches of fresh snow. He sees this guy at about noon across a canyon and he is with another buck that is bigger so he decides to go for it. He gets to about 400 yards from them, the wind starts shifting and he decides that he had better take the shot. He shoots a ruger 300 win mag with a Shepherd scope and figures out the range via the reticle and he shoots the "smaller" one because the other one he cannot see any longer.
He actually thought he had made a mistake and shot a small 4 x 4 but that changed when he walked up to it. He then spent the rest of the day packing everything out and was done late in the evening. I tell ya, this is the way it should be done.............
Buck was 29 inches wide and 27 inches high. 4 x 3.

Randy

Attachments

• Reids buck 001.jpg
    Reids buck 001.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Reids buck 002.jpg
    Reids buck 002.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 123
That's a very nice "small" buck. I can also appreciate the hard work that went into such a nice trophy, not just another one shot from the truck. Tell your friend congrats.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.