IDAHO Middle Fork B tag

cmfi3

Do any of you have much experience in unit 27 in the Frank Church for sept. elk and deer? Couple friends have been hunting it the last few years with some sucess, they finally talked me into buying the tag for next season. Does anyone have any info. they would be willing to share about this area?

Spent a lot of time hunting and scouting for elk in unit 27 but have not been back there sense 2004. There are many better choices for a deer hunt than unit 27 with the exception of the breaks above the Middle Fork. There are some really good bucks there but it's not easy. It used to be a great unit for elk. Don't know what the wolfs have done to the herds in there but it's probably not good. I would not recommend unit 27 for an elk hunt if you don't have access to horses. It's a big unit and usually takes some saddle time to find the elk. Watch the weather even in September. It can and does get really nasty at times but the snow will melt off pretty fast until the ground freezes then it sticks. I'm not going to give up my honey holes so you will just have to figure that out for yourself.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.