I need a gunsmith!

Daves762

Here is the deal. I have collected the parts for my first custom build.

I am Emailing around to different smiths finding out prices and return times so I can choose a smith I want to use.

Apparently this is a sensative subject for you gunsmith types as I have recieved more than one Email that basically chewed my butt for asking these questions.

I was a Navy machinist for a decade and although I am not a "gunsmith" the procedures I'm asking for are not complicated by comparison, and the build request is pretty simple. So why I'm getting such whiney, sniveling, hurt ego type replies is beyond me.

So any gunsmiths out there who grasp the concept of customer service, are willing to give me a ball-park quote on your work, and can give me a time frame on when I will get the rifle back let me know if you want the job.

Blueprint customer supplied Remington action Remi 700 short action 300 WSM- -
Chamber 300 WSM / Crown / Fit / customer supplied Brux barrel-
Bead blast finish so nothing shines - -
Install customer supplied 3 port muscle brake, and blend rear of brake to barrel contour -
Open barrel channel if required to ensure full free float of barrel on customer supplied B &C Light Tactical stock-
Full action bed -

And apox. turn around time?

PS the only guy who has given me the time of day has been Kevin from Montour county rifles, he sets the example as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
I couldn't raise the funds for a custom til the last minute, called around and no one could get to me in under 7 months. Saw some of Dave's work on this site, he built a beatiful 300wm for Broz, called Dave and explained my situation, he built my gun in 30 days to accomodate a special draw tag hunt I was planning and very understanding and helpful. I sent him the parts and he put it together. Picking it up next week.
http://youngs-gunsmithing.com/

I couldn't raise the funds for a custom til the last minute, called around and no one could get to me in under 7 months. Saw some of Dave's work on this site, he built a beatiful 300wm for Broz, called Dave and explained my situation, he built my gun in 30 days to accomodate a special draw tag hunt I was planning and very understanding and helpful. I sent him the parts and he put it together. Picking it up next week.
http://youngs-gunsmithing.com/

Thanks. Sent them an Email.

when you get the rifle can I see pics? There aren't any on the site.

Thanks.

Go with Kevin and in the end you will not regret it. Price is good turn around is competitive and his guns shoot and look top notch.

Search his builds on here or look at the performance of his rifles on here. It speaks for itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.