I just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle

cjmousseau

I just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a 10X40X50mm Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling i put about $1,000 in everything so i was wondering if i should throw on a .308 VORTEX FLASH HIDER threw brownells and what ammo should i use:cool:

The flash hider is not neccesary unless you'd like one. These are mostly used on semi auto rifles or if your planning on doing some sniping. Hand loads are probably going to be your best bet for ammo. Use good components to get the best results. There are also some accurizing enhancements that can be done to the rifle to help it too. Having the rifle stress free bedded with a free floated barrel, lugs lapped, and trigger worked on for a more consistent pull. Shoot the rifle the way it is now first with some factory ammo, you may be content with the results. If your not and you have the rifle accurized you will be able to see the gain from the accurizing enhancements. Good shooting.

308 is one of the best deer ctg's around. With that said every company makes great hunting ammo. Your going to have to try a couple of different loads to see what it likes. A good 150, or 165 will do the job all the time. As for the Vortex I wouldn't bother. If you want something at the end of your barrel use a good break instead. You might have a little problem with that 10-40x50 scope. It will probably be too much magnification for eastern woods. I hunt northern NY and found above 10x is worthless for me. Maybe 100 yrd max range for deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.