I have mil -dot ? answer fast.

Coyboy

I know this has been hashed here somewhere but I need quick confirmation, search was unproductive.

My weaver tacticals turrets are not very repeatable.

I'm going to use the mils and need some one to confirm my information, please.

The distance between crosswire and center of first dot is one mil.

center of dot to center of dot is one mil.

each dot is one quarter mil

distance between edge of dots is 3/4 mil.

Is this corect?

I have weaver tactical 4.5-14.

Once I got it through my num-skull that I was shooting @ 200 and adjusting as if I were @ 100 things became repeatable.

On the dots: Don't bet the farm on this but my understanding is that each "dot" is 0.2 mils. 0.1 mil above and below the dot's center line.

Seems to work for me, w/limited shooting.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, which is usually the case.

Mil-dot-reticle-scale.gif

Good enough?

Roy and 4ked, thanks for the replies, exactly what I was looking for. Mine would be Army style and looks like I had the quarter mil on the dot size wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Roy I have two of these scopes and haddent noticed a repeatability problem with the other one, but it also has not seen as much twisting as the one on my 260ai.

If I employ this mil-dot aiming and get used to it I may be better off for big game hunting. It may be quicker, and Kirby seems to be doing well with it.

Thanks again.

You might get pretty good with it but I would have a hard time swallowing that it is quicker or as precise. A person might become quite efficient at it in fact but it seems that one would reach x level of proficiency but the cranking of knobs will bring that same person to a greater than x level of precision.

Pracice practice practice.

The question is, can you hold-off to an accuracy of 1/4 moa out at long distances with absolute consistency. Holding-off works but - it gets back to the question - can you hold-off to an accuracy of 1/4 moa out at long distances with absolute consistency? If your scope is operating properly it will move the point of impact in quarter moa increments every time. I have shot hold-off a lot, last year I shot six deer with hold-offs and six with clicking. Got better hits and shot with more confidence with clicking. Not to say that holding-off is not a viable hunting procedure, but I do not believe that it can be as precise and precision is what we are after. What if the wind is blowing, you are holding off for wind also, makes it tough.
We make drop charts with a little drawing of the mildots and distances that they are "on" for. More info in the field the better.
Good luck with your decision, hopefully your scope turrets are OK and you can use both clicking and hold-offs as needed. I have heard a lot of good things about the Weaver tacticals, maybe if the turrets are boogered you should send it in for a fix.

Cowboy, I use my mils for a ballistic plex type reticle. One mil at 100 yds equals 3.6 inches. Using a ballistic run out and varifying in the field, it is easy to use your mil dots. Sighting in my rifle at say 275 yds, gives me a dead on hold to 300 yds.(6 inch impact area). If I'm 15 inces low at 400 yds, hold dead on with the first mil dot (3.6" times 4 equals 14.4 inches correction). Just remember to multiply the 3.6" times the yardage factor to find the value for each mil dot. Luckily my rifle is dead on to 300 yds, first dot at 400, second dot at 500, third dot at 600. Even I can remember this easy set up. Use it varmint hunting in the summer and its a snap come hunting season. Just remember that most mil dots are only correct at the maximum magnification of your scope (or a stated power). Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I understand it is less percise than clicking but right now I don't trust the turrets. I will not be shooting over 600 yards and the crosswire is zeroed at 300 now. this puts me at -2.5 mils at 600, and +1 mil at 100. I have in the past shot quite a bit of deer and coyotes out to 500 using holdover with standard duplex recticle. So I feel confident in using it to 600 with the dots.

I would really like to click in longer ranges, but I will have to test the repeatability of this scope further before I trust it to shoot out past 600. It is a possibility that the one click does not equal the 1/8 moa that its suposed to.

Wind is not as big a factor where I hunt, Usually the deer come out to the fields after the wind has died off in the evenings. I usually don't shoot long in a wind over 10mph. I just don't have enough experience with that yet.

[ QUOTE ]
The question is, can you hold-off to an accuracy of 1/4 moa out at long distances with absolute consistency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer is no, but I think I can, up to a point. Deer sized target yes, coyote sized target a bit iffy. What is really happening for me is that the mil dot - hold over technique is the learning phase between plex cross hair and clicking ups and downs.

[ QUOTE ]
Not to say that holding-off is not a viable hunting procedure, but I do not believe that it can be as precise and precision is what we are after.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is viable for me as long as I stay w/in my limits and I know my limits. At the moment I'm confident out to about 760 but what if something appears at 1013. I'd better have the self discipline to get a little closer.

[ QUOTE ]
What if the wind is blowing, you are holding off for wind also, makes it tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Always the deal breaker. Wind sux /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif but still skeer'd of clicking.

I'm the same way. I apply the reticle to about 600 or so, and then it's onto clicks from there on out. I use an interpolative system for in between ranges just like the mil-dot guys, in tenths of each "stadia unit". Personally ithink one of the best ways to go is to use a plex reticle that has a decent MOA subtension to about 4-500 yds. to lower post tip, with a 1 stadia windage reference, and use clicks beyond the lower post's zero. If wind gets much more than the windage plex post tip's reference than it's blowing too hard anyways. It'd be a compromise between "ballistic" reticle, and clicking.

[ QUOTE ]
I understand it is less percise than clicking but right now I don't trust the turrets. I will not be shooting over 600 yards and the crosswire is zeroed at 300 now. this puts me at -2.5 mils at 600, and +1 mil at 100. I have in the past shot quite a bit of deer and coyotes out to 500 using holdover with standard duplex recticle. So I feel confident in using it to 600 with the dots.

I would really like to click in longer ranges, but I will have to test the repeatability of this scope further before I trust it to shoot out past 600. It is a possibility that the one click does not equal the 1/8 moa that its suposed to.

Wind is not as big a factor where I hunt, Usually the deer come out to the fields after the wind has died off in the evenings. I usually don't shoot long in a wind over 10mph. I just don't have enough experience with that yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cowboy

Determine 100 yd. distance and put up a steel tape on a board on a horizontal or vertical line for checking your movements. You'll have to put the rifle in a "fixture" for doing this but this will give you a good idea for seeing what the movements are giving you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.