Hunting Portugal

Ksduckhntr

May or May not be the correct spot for this, but I'm interested in hearing others opinions. Has anyone hunted Portugal? My family and I are planning a trip to Portugal, and I am considering an excursion for hunting local game. We are looking at a December trip so any advice or direction. I'd greatly appreciated.

I have traveled Portugal and Spain but never had the opportunity to hunt. So...

Portugal Hunting Seasons
  • Red Deer & Fallow Deer - The season is open all year. ...
  • Wild Boar - From October to the end of February. ...
  • Partridge - From October to the end of January.
  • Driven Partridge & Pheasant - From October to the end of January.
  • Duck - From October to the end of January.

Portugal Hunting Laws

• Any non-resident hunter must buy a hunting license to hunt in Portugal
  • The Portuguese hunting license is valid from 1st June to 31st May
    (1 year/season)
  • To apply for a Portuguese hunting licence, the overseas hunter needs to provide proof of his residence in another country (Passport) and an equivalent hunting license from the country of residence.
  • An overseas hunter also needs to buy hunting insurance for the same hunting season
  • Portuguese hunting insurance has a minimum coverage of 100,000 Euro damages on a third party
  • To avoid losing hunting time on arrival to obtain these documents, the outfitter will get them in advance if the hunter provides a copy of his hunting license in his country of residence and his passport or ID card. This is a free service.

Importing A Hunting Firearm Into Portugal

Non-EU Resident

A non-EU resident must apply for an Authorization of Temporary Importation of Firearms issued by the Portuguese police. To do this....

• Complete and sign 4 documents - DOWNLOAD HERE. These are in Portuguese and essentially are documents referring to personal identification, firearm identification details, export/import permission and reasons for requiring the firearm.
  • Provide copy of firearms license issued by the origin country
  • Provide copy of passport
  • Provide copy of document that prove he is the owner of that firearm
  • Provide a letter of invitation from the entity that promotes the hunting event stating start and ending dates
  • Indicate how long he intends to stay in Portugal with the firearm
  • Pay a small fee for each firearm

The non-EU hunter MUST be in possession of the 'Authorization of Temporary Importation of Firearms' on arrival in Portugal. If he does not comply with this the firearms are seized and held by the Portuguese police.

When the hunter with firearms arrives Portugal, they MUST be accompanied by an authorization of exportation issued by the authorities of the origin country.

The outfitter can apply for the 'Authorization of Temporary Importation of Firearms' prior to the arrival of non-EU hunters if they provide the necessary documents at least 40 days before the start of the hunt. There is a charge for this service, plus the applicable fee(s) related to the number of firearms to be imported.

• All ammo must match the firearms caliber
  • There is no limit on the number of firearms that can be brought into Portugal.
  • A maximum of 250 rifle rounds for each calibre and 2000 cartridges for shotguns.
  • Non-EU residents should inform the outfitter of the amount of ammo they intend bringing when applying for the 'Temporary Import Permit of Firearms'. The ammo will be checked at the airport.
  • For each 1000 of rifle ammo or shotgun ammo, there is a charge for the import permit.
  • When not hunting, the firearms must be transported in a locked gun case. The ammo must not be in the same case. The rifle in the gun case must be disassembled in such a way that doesn't allow immediate use.
  • No suppressors/silencers/sound moderators are allowed. Fully automatic guns, self-defence weapons, as well as those of military type or appearance, are prohibited.
  • For hunting purposes, any semi-automatic weapon, may only accept a maximum of 2 shells in the magazine/deposit plus another one in the chamber.
https://www.shakariconnection.com/hunting-portugal.html

:)