Hunting Hogs San Antonio, Texas.

T. Beryl Hubbard

I have a AR15, 18" Heavy Barrel 1:9 twist. I just bought some Hornady 75gr ELD match bullets to reload for Hogs. I tried some Hornady Factory BTHP that was all over the place @100 yds. w/Caldwell led sled from the bench. Any information for the reloading data would be great.

Consider a heavier constructed bullet for hogs: Nosler Partition, Swift Scirocco, or one of the monolithic bullets. Shoot your match bullets at paper or steel for practice. Loose the lead sled for shooting groups.

Good Luck

Jerry

Hi and Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure but 75 grain pills might be a bit heavy for a 1:9 twist. I use 77 grain tipped matchkings in my RRA-VA-4 (20" 1:8) and they do fine, but in my shorter AR (1:9) I have good luck with a 65 grain Gameking. Not sure if that's a good bullet for hogs or not but I've also tried some of the Barnes 62 grain TSX on other "critters" and they worked well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.