Hunting Definitions You Never Knew

"Underkill" - when you make a good kill shot but the deer runs UNDER an old barbed wire fence before expiring. Even worse if on the other side is a field you're not supposed to be on!

MOA - forget minute of angle. Moa stands for "man outta ammo!"

A dreadful predicament, usually discovered when a big buck is near. Can happen for a variety of reasons…the worst one is a detachable box magazine having "detached" at an unknown point somewhere back there….

Last edited:
"Bullseye"

When the HUGE bull moose or elk just stands there and STARES at you, taunting, mocking, not remotely afraid…like it knows you only have whitetail tags…he's giving you the bull's eye!

there's no time your more likely to see a moose than when you're hunting something else.

Last edited:
"Zero-stop"

When you're marching through deep snow pulling a downed buck through it together with a partner and your lungs are on fire and you just wanna take a break more than anything…but you are determined, come hell or high water, to not be the first to "tap out" even if it kills you. There will be ZERO STOP, none!!! 🤣🤣🤣

I've practiced the zero stop philosophy in misguided attempts to impress my father as a teenager, my father in law as a grown man, buddies who I knew full well were in better cardio shape than me, etc…ZERO STOP! I don't quit…unless YOU need a break!

Now that both my father and my father in law have suffered heart attacks I have completely abandoned the zero stop philosophy when hunting with them. I INSIST we stop frequently, probably to the point of annoying them…but when my father in law said something about not needing to be babied I preserved his pride by saying "oh that's not what this is, but a deer is bad enough…you're 6 foot 3 and over 250lb, I ain't up for dragging your carcass out of here too". We had a good chuckle and continued pulling the buck out…

because I probably won't change much deep down, I'm sure when I'm older I'll feel the need to run myself ragged when my boys are teenagers and then strapping young men….it's important that I remain the standard of grit they're trying to outgun for as long as possible 🤣🤣🤣🤣

"drop point".

Not to be confused with a certain very functional and aesthetically pleasing knife blade geometry, this is what is sure to happen numerous times around the campfire at the hunting camp. No conversation ever completed before someone, or everyone, goes off on a tangential rabbit trail, or gets distracted, or changes the subject. The "point" is dropped many times

"What were we even talking about again guys?"

🤦🏻

"Oh great, it happened again. Another drop-point!"

Muzzle blast - when the deer are starting to come out at dusk, and just as a BIG buck emerges from the brush line you realize you have to sneeze. You try in vain to suppress or silence it, to no avail. The deer of a lifetime is scared away because of your horrendous MUZZLE BLAST!