SOLD/EXPIRED Hunt in trade off.

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by Roy Sparks, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Roy Sparks

Roy Sparks Member

As I am new here I would like to ask if it is acceptable to offer a hunt in trade for hunting tools we do not regularly find to buy in South Africa. Is it possible to do so ?

2. Powell

Powell Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on what you are wanting. If it is an item that is a controlled export item then no.

3. orion2000

orion2000 Well-Known Member

In the U.S. we have a set of Federal regulations called "ITAR". Basically any firearm, or any firearm component valued at $100 USD or more (eg: barrels, stocks, scopes) can not be exported without an export permit. (Don't ask me how I found this out... :rolleyes:) If an arrangement was made to convey the ITAR items via a registered exporter, probably no issues...

4. Roy Sparks

Roy Sparks Member

What then if the request was for a certain rifle - scope mounted , that for instance a hunter brought over here with which to conduct their hunt and left the package with myself as a gratuity or payment for services rendered ??

5. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

My guess is that would also be a US violation and easy for the US authorities to discover.

6. Lefty7mmstw

Lefty7mmstw Well-Known Member

Darn it, where'd my 375 go...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wouldn't try it myself... Likely to be troublesome....

7. Calfarmer

Calfarmer Well-Known Member

You can do anything but firearms if you take it in your baggage.
    Last time i went to Africa to hunt I took a Mathews bow and a bunch of knives the outfitter wanted and left them there with him. Firearms though have to be declared and checked when you leave and they have to be checked when you get back with customs that they are still the same that you left with!