HSM VS Hornady

Fasttimez

Hey guys, I've been a avid forum reader for years, but decided I needed to ask a question as I can't exactly find an answer. I'm going to use a 168gr bullet for hunting, I shoot a Remington 700 .308 with a 26" barrel. I noticed HSM loads the Hornady AMax bullet. Other than the advertised velocity difference between the Hornady Superformance AMax & the HSM AMax (about 200fps) is there any real difference between the two ? I'm assuming the 200fps will make for a slightly flatter flight path & hit a little harder. The biggest difference between the two is price. The Hornady sells for about $32-$35 a box vs $20-$23 a box for HSM. I've read several reviews & it seems the crowd is split on accuracy between the two, both group great, just one better than the other for everyone as expected. Is .1-.3 moa worth an extra $10-$13 a box of ammo if the Hornady groups that much better vs the HSM in my rifle ? I won't be taking shots on game over 400 yards, I know some might not consider that long range hunting, but I know my limits right now. In case you guys are wondering completing my hunting setup is a Vortex 4x12x44 scope. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hey guys, I've been a avid forum reader for years, but decided I needed to ask a question as I can't exactly find an answer. I'm going to use a 168gr bullet for hunting, I shoot a Remington 700 .308 with a 26" barrel. I noticed HSM loads the Hornady AMax bullet. Other than the advertised velocity difference between the Hornady Superformance AMax & the HSM AMax (about 200fps) is there any real difference between the two ? I'm assuming the 200fps will make for a slightly flatter flight path & hit a little harder. The biggest difference between the two is price. The Hornady sells for about $32-$35 a box vs $20-$23 a box for HSM. I've read several reviews & it seems the crowd is split on accuracy between the two, both group great, just one better than the other for everyone as expected. Is .1-.3 moa worth an extra $10-$13 a box of ammo if the Hornady groups that much better vs the HSM in my rifle ? I won't be taking shots on game over 400 yards, I know some might not consider that long range hunting, but I know my limits right now. In case you guys are wondering completing my hunting setup is a Vortex 4x12x44 scope. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Go with whichever group better for your intended purpose and which brass you prefer to load in the future.

Lots of my friends are very happy with HSM, however, most are with 7MM Rem Mag 180 Berger VLDs and .300 Win Mag 210 Berger VLDs. I have very positive experience with their Berger 185 VLDs and 178 A- Max both in .300 Win Mag when I tried them.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.