HSM Trophy Gold or Nosler Trophy Grade for Pronghorns w/ a 260 Rem?

Winny94

I don't have time to reload before an upcoming pronghorn hunt and therfore need to bite the bullet and buy some factory ammo. I'm debating between the HSM Trophy Gold 130gr Hunting VLD 260 ammo or Nosler Trophy Grade with the 130gr accubond.

Shots will most likely be 150-300 yards, but it wouldn't be the first time a 500 yard shot presented itself.

Between those two options, which would you suggest? Looking for the most forgiving and accurate bullet that will perform on a pronghorn. They'll be coming out of a Tikka t3 hunter (22.5" bbl).

Thanks

Between those two options, which would you suggest?

Thanks

Whichever one shoots most accurately out of your rifle is the one you choose.

Well-made high quality ammunition does not always guarantee that it will shoot well out of YOUR rifle. So, you need to try what you can find, and go with the best. I've seen the HSM, for example, shoot horribly out of some rifles and very well out of others. Ironically, I'll be using it on antelope myself in 3 weeks, but in any other rifles I own it doesn't shoot well at all.

I have a T3 Hunter and although I've not used either of the two rounds
you are considering, my rifle likes the Federal Premium 120gr Nosler Ballistic
Tips. Out of my rifle these crono at 2750 MV and routinely get .75 to 1.25 MOA
@ 100 yds. Should be good out to 350 or so.

I'll be white tail hunting with my 260 this year in Texas, but with handloads
and 120 ttsx's. Same 2750 MV. but the MOA is much better than the Federal
Factory loads.

Good luck.

I have also never fired a factory round from any of my 260's. I would not use the 130 NAB they make small holes in and out. I could not get the 130 VLD'S to shoot well.

The 120 NBT on the other hand has been stellar accuracy is good and on animal performance is excellent. It will be more than enough for Pronghorns.

500 yards would be a questionable shot depending on firearm from a 22.5 at 2800 you're getting down about 1800fps. If you think your shot will be that far the 130 VLD would be better.

Let us know how your trip goes.

In any case good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I have also never fired a factory round from any of my 260's. I would not use the 130 NAB they make small holes in and out. I could not get the 130 VLD'S to shoot well.

The 120 NBT on the other hand has been stellar accuracy is good and on animal performance is excellent. It will be more than enough for Pronghorns.

500 yards would be a questionable shot depending on firearm from a 22.5 at 2800 you're getting down about 1800fps. If you think your shot will be that far the 130 VLD would be better.

Let us know how your trip goes.

In any case good luck and shoot straight

Bob

first time I've ever heard that one.

Both companies produce quality ammo. While I definitely prefer the accubond whichever one your rifle shoots best is probably your best choice.

If you shoot the HSM with Bergers I'd say avoid trying to punch the shoulders.

It's definitely not typical. I've put literally hundreds of them through hogs, deer, coyotes etc in a half dozen calibers at all sorts of ranges and find them to give consistently good controlled expansion even in relatively slow burners like the 6.8 SPC.

NBT's on the other hand I've found to be rather explosive particularly at high velocity.

I harvested more than a few deer with the 140NAB with my 260's and accuracy was excellent but I was not impressed with on game performance. IMO that's a really tough bullet and better suited to 264 wm velocities. The expansion is very controlled hence the small holes. The 120 NBT in .264 is not very explosive at 260 velocities.

Shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.