How to Lengthen Mauser Mag Box

wild_musk

I'm modifying my first Mauser - VZ24. I've re-barreled the action, chambered for 338-06 AI. I'm up to inletting a very pretty and pricy walnut stock, but I need to solve my bottom metal problem first - a new one from Sunny Hill or similar is in the $450 range, so that's not ideal. I found a steel one on Numerich for not too much money - internal dimensions are 3.38". I'm wondering if that will give enough clearance for this round with 250g bullets? I've found only a couple of references to 338-06 OAL online, but nothing definitive.

Regardless, I thought I might try to lengthen my existing magazine box, but can't find any references for this job. Anyone know of any? I sure wish some lazy gunsmith with too much time on his hands would get off his keister and make some Youtube videos of this stuff for me!

If all else fails, I'm going to just buy the brass and a chamber plug to measure my lands - then I can load a dummy and see what my no kidding OAL is. I may have just answered my own question, but will still post to see what others have done...thanks in advance.

You can put the magazine box in the mill, get a long skinny end mill and make the inside of the front and the inside of the rear longer.

Don't check the feeding with dummy ammo with round tips, and then go hunting with pointed tips, like I did.

Or you can buy a PAWS bottom metal from Brownells. I really like mine. It is already the 3.34" ammo length and has a bottom plate release, and is lighter weight.

MAUSER 98 TRIGGERGUARD & FLOORPLATE - Brownells

From now on, all the custom Mausers in longer cartridges, I will just buy the PAWS bottom metal.

Attachments

• Mauser milling out magazine length.jpg
    Mauser milling out magazine length.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 537
Oh man, now I understand something I read before. I guess the bolt opens far enough to still catch rounds out of the mag well after moving the front part of the back wall. That will work, thanks.

I've used the aluminum PAWS tg from Brownells as well as the steel one from Numrich. Both work just fine as is for anything based on the '06 case or that same length. I have them on a 338 WM on a VZ24 action, a 6.5-06AI on a VZ24, a 7X57 on a Kar98a, and am currently building a 280AI and a 308, both on VZ24 actions. I have 3 of the PAWS and 2 of the Numrich. Haven't had any issues with mag length vs. seating length, but none of my barrels have a really long throat. The longest is the 338, and no issues with it, even with 250 gr match HP bullets seated just off the lands.

The only downside on the aluminum one is that you get an antelope "engraving" on the floorplate. I'd rather have it plain, but it's ok. It uses a Remington-style button release. The Numrich unit is steel, and noticeably heavier. It is finished matte blue with a plain hinged floorplate and an inside-the-bow release. IIRC, the Numrich unit was ~$69 and the Brownells unit was ~$89; either one WAY cheaper than NECG or Sunny Hill...

Have fun with your build!

Brian

Thanks! That's exactly what I was wanting to know about the bottom metals for the 338 length, esp in the heavier bullets. I went with the steel one because I'd rather finish the steel vs. the AL, and I specifically don't want the antelope. I don't understand why they'd do that, at least without offering a plain version also - I'd bet they'd sell more plain ones.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies! Appreciated as always.

v/r, coty

The antelope on the PAWS bottom metal is NOT embossed in Pink and Gold, it is just a shape.

And I did shoot an antelope with it in October 2011.

At Brownells, the PAWS Aluminum bottom metal for Mausers weighs 3.5
ounces, as opposed to 8.625 ounces for typical steel bottom metal.

It costs $60 and so the weight savings is ~ $12/ ounce.

Attachments

• PAWS bottom metal on VZ24.jpg
    PAWS bottom metal on VZ24.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 368
  • Antelope 2011 Montana c.jpg
    Antelope 2011 Montana c.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 280
You're right, it looks great, but it doesn't fit the look I'm working on for this rifle. Also, I have no plans to hunt antelope...it just wasn't for me. I didn't mean my comments to be disparaging towards the PAWS, just curious why they picked one animal to engrave vs something more universal. Nice pronghorn by the way.

Coty

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.