How to: flying for hunts

308_Branden

For the past few years me and my 2 buddy's drive 30-36 hours from Florida to Wyoming/ Colorado for an elk hunt ( annual boys trip). Does anyone fly to and from these places? And how do you find is the best way to transport meat, hide, and horns? The driving is rough at times, and it would be cool to be able to cut down on travel time. Any tips and tricks help. Thank you

For the past few years me and my 2 buddy's drive 30-36 hours from Florida to Wyoming/ Colorado for an elk hunt ( annual boys trip). Does anyone fly to and from these places? And how do you find is the best way to transport meat, hide, and horns? The driving is rough at times, and it would be cool to be able to cut down on travel time. Any tips and tricks help. Thank you
I know and feel your rough times doing many trips from GA to PA, NY, SD, Canada, Newfoundland. Spent many several day trips on the road and a lot of non stop driving. It is real nice to have your own vehicle, plenty of gear and possibly a trailer with huge thick wall insulated Airline Cooler to bring back a few Moose, Deer.
Maybe get yourself an UBER 🤣.
It would cost you a lot of $$$ going by Air for the extra bagage. I think that there are some shipping services to ship your gear to and fro and also get your meat back.
The only times we went AIR was trips to South Africa. All we need to bring was hunting clothes/regular clothes and your firearms. The Outfitter had everything else.
I am sure some other member will chime in that have used some services. If not do some searches on the internet.
Good luck with your future Hunts and be safe!

One trick is to bring a cooler load it with clothes on the way in. If you kill put the meat in it frozen and ship your clothes back ups. Some guys I know who party hunted in CO did this. They all brought 48 qt ice chests and usually it was enough to ship boned meat back. 4 guys hunting public land maybe kill one elk.

I know and feel your rough times doing many trips from GA to PA, NY, SD, Canada, Newfoundland. Spent many several day trips on the road and a lot of non stop driving. It is real nice to have your own vehicle, plenty of gear and possibly a trailer with huge thick wall insulated Airline Cooler to bring back a few Moose, Deer.
Maybe get yourself an UBER 🤣.
It would cost you a lot of $$$ going by Air for the extra bagage. I think that there are some shipping services to ship your gear to and fro and also get your meat back.
The only times we went AIR was trips to South Africa. All we need to bring was hunting clothes/regular clothes and your firearms. The Outfitter had everything else.
I am sure some other member will chime in that have used some services. If not do some searches on the internet.
Good luck with your future Hunts and be safe!

Lmaooooo to the Uber. And luckily I'm in good company so the trip is pretty nice. But let me tell you once we hit Kansas that's when it gets rough lol. Love the state but it's about as hard to get through as Florida.

Oh I'm following this one for tips...I'm planning on a solo Elk hunt in Utah this October. I'm flying in from Florida as well.

Dude I really don't think there are many ways around this. Unless you have the capital to fund everything. Which I wish I could do lol

We used to fly from Houston to hunt pheasant in Mitchell, SD. No airports close to there with regular commercial flights. We flew to Omaha and to Sioux Falls depending on air tickets and rental vehicles. There were 4 who traveled together, so rental suburban wasn't too bad. The only hitch in this was that there were several other groups that drove up, so we would send our shotguns and ammo with them. Our 4 man group has dwindled down to just me, so I now hitch (when I can) with those that have driven all along. I would drive it myself if ever no room with others. Amazing hunting trip.
We drive to SW South Dakota to shoot PDs. Multiple rifles/ammo per each shooter and no rental vehicles anywhere close make driving almost the only option.

A couple of things to wonder about...

I have driven many days on occasion, not much fun late at night when everyone else is sleeping.

I am a meat hunter so horns and hides have usually not interested me. However, one trip to Alaska resulted in a very nice moose. No record book but significant none the less.

I left the hide and head with a taxidermy shop. They took care of the preservation and shipping. This occurs with nearly every hunter and head of game coming from Africa. Dip and pack.

I boned all the meat, divvied it up with a couple of folks, then had what was left frozen solid and packed in dry ice with an overnight shipper. Alaska knows how to handle this type of request.

I travel with firearms and ammunition with a fair frequency so I'm comfortable doing so. Read and understand each airline's rules and regulations that you have chosen to use. It's all straight forward and easy.

I have on occasion, shipped firearms and ammunition ahead to a match director or guide if I was making several connections. No big deal. Learn to pack carefully.

Enjoy the process.

;)