How short can I legally go?

16" is Federally mandated, I cut them just a tad longer because I don't trust anyone:

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

Short as you want on a pistol;)
311C2B69-6945-4E0E-85C9-CA1F48A8DD03.jpeg

Depends on what muzzle device you want to have pinned or welded on. Then you can go as short as you want without going under 16" total length.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.