300 PRC How short can I go?

DRNAlaska

Im getting components together for a light weight 300PRC mountain rifle. I've got a 1 in 8" twist Brux barrel that just came in. I'm planning on getting a MDT HNT26 for it and I'll be running it suppressed, I've got a silencer central banish 30 that should be out of jail any day now…
I want it to be capable out to around 800 yrds for sheep, goats and black bear but have a bullet that will hold together up close for grizzly if I need it. I've had great luck with Barnes bullet in the past and am eyeing the LRX 208 but I'm also intrigued by some of the hammer bullets.
Does anyone have experience with a similar setup? I'm thinking about having the barrel cut at 20" for pack ability but am curious if I'll lose to much speed. How short is to short?

@codyadams has a long thread doing similar. He was very happy with field results as well.

Lot of horsepower to tame there. I think I would weigh the suppressor and cut the same weight from the barrel starting at 24'' and working back for balance. Then I'd go to a folder to chop length. Shooting my two .30 cal mags I would lean to the 300 WSM for a short handy mountain stick.

The tipped hammer line will run faster with no fuss compared to the HH line. 163HHT or the 182HHT seem like a great fit if you stick with the PRC.

Here is a 182. Can't remember the COAL off hand but my load data is posted.
tempImagemPsbJe.png

Im getting components together for a light weight 300PRC mountain rifle. I've got a 1 in 8" twist Brux barrel that just came in. I'm planning on getting a MDT HNT26 for it and I'll be running it suppressed, I've got a silencer central banish 30 that should be out of jail any day now…
I want it to be capable out to around 800 yrds for sheep, goats and black bear but have a bullet that will hold together up close for grizzly if I need it. I've had great luck with Barnes bullet in the past and am eyeing the LRX 208 but I'm also intrigued by some of the hammer bullets.
Does anyone have experience with a similar setup? I'm thinking about having the barrel cut at 20" for pack ability but am curious if I'll lose to much speed. How short is to short?
According to the National Firearms Act (NFA), the legal minimum barrel length for rifles in the United States is 16 inches for non-SBR (Short-Barreled Rifle) firearms. IMHO, a suppressed 20-22" for your intended purpose and has the packability with your set-up.

My .338 Thor is not a mountain rifle but with a similar goal. I went with 22" in case I decide not to use it suppressed. I considered the MDT HNT26 but went with CA MPR instead.
.338 Thor scoped 4 of 4.jpg

Good luck!

Ed

I love my 20" 30 nosler. Just check to make sure your can is capable of handling it, I would make sure it's rated for 300 rum@20" at a minimum.

Mine was built by LPR, Dallas is awesome. 20" bartlien carbon 8 twist, Bat Vampire action, XLR folding chassis, and 2.5-20 NX-8 sitting in NF 1.125" rings (needed the taller rings due to the short scope tube, adjusted for that with the adjustable cheek rest). Set up light with nothing on but a muzzle brake and a single shot tray installed, it is about 8.8 lbs. With a can, bipod and 5 round mag, it is 10.5 lbs. I could shave off about 5 oz if I didn't want the folding adapter, but short and compact and 1000 yard capable was the goal. Mine is a 30 nosler with a .215 freebore, and sends 208 Bergers at 2930 using H1000 in its accuracy node. I got 9 loads on a piece of ADG brass sending a 215 berger at an average of 2990ish fps with retumbo. I have also used the 187 apex afterburner, and I am currently testing the 194 Apex afterburner. The 187 was running 3000 fps with a moderate load, hit pressure around 3100. If you shoot at long range, I would recommend trying either of them out for a monolithic option. The 194 has a .357 G7, and requires an 8.6 twist or faster.

It has taken mule deer well over 1000 yards, and fits in my pack like this -
20220917_140219.jpg

The PRC will have a little less performance than the 30 nosler, case capacity is less, right between a 300 wm and 30 nosler. But, should still be similar, and get great performance.

If you may be hunting at lower (sea level) elevation in Alaska, and plan on running lower bc (for bullet weight compared to c&c) bullets like a 214 hammer or the 208 barnes (which actually has pretty good bc for a barnes), you may struggle to get impact velocities above 1800 fps at 800 yards with velocities I would expect to see from final loads from a 20" 300 prc. That may or may not concern you, I know there are a few bullet manufacturers that state their bullets can go lower than 1800, however I personally prefer to keep impact velocities above 1800, and better yet 1900, so I'm not riding a line with a narrow margin. I prefer to just use a bullet with a better bc (which has other benefits) or use a bigger cartridge to get the desired performance at my intended max range. And it also depends how often you actually plan on shooting out to 800. Many people build 1000 yard rifles, but the rifles will never shoot anything alive over 500. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Bottom line, just consider all the parameters of exactly what you want to have in your build, research thoroughly, and make your cartridge, bullet, and rifle component choices based off those desired attributes and educated, accurate information. Regardless of what anyone else on the internet says. Good luck sir.

I would like to hear some real world results using an all copper bullet at 800 yards. My own experience using them in fast cartridges, 264WM, 270 Bee, 300WM, 300RUM & my own wildcats based off the 416 Rigby case have all, but my wildcats, fallen short and max out for expansion around 600 yards. The 180g Barnes TTSX out of both the 300WM & RUM had poor expansion just beyond 400 yards. Haven't tried the LRX yet, but interested to see results.

Cheers.

MM-

Purely anecdotal but I was shooting a 199HH at steel plate 1020 yards 9'' group and complete copper splashes. Guy shooting Barnes from a .338RPM (185??) and we found the bullet on the ground in front of the plate could have reloaded and shot again. I'm not certain it hit the steel first or skipped off the ground. Certainly the 212 eld-x were making more of a mark with the lead but wouldn't be afraid of the Hammers. Agree with the check and verify for yourself thought process. I'd definitely drop down a weight class or two with a shorter barrel.

I've personally had Barnes amaze me .257 roberts on whitetail and baffle me .338 160ttsx on a fat black bear. Stuff happens but I require more consistent performance.

Cody is spot on. Plus I love his build.

I will add that the bullet weight will also matter a bit. Big heavier bullets need slower powders that also need length. I think you would be happy around 22" barrel I have one ultra light rifle with that and a can. Seems perfect to me. 20" would be great but I didn't wanna give up more fps.

I was launching the 214 hammers out of my 30 Sherman at 3160fps so you should be able to stay above 3k with a shorter barrel. I just ordered some of the hammer hht 203gr to try and pick up some speed and they have a lower min velocity than the hunters.

But I think you are on the right track. I personally wouldn't go shorter than 20. But I wouldn't turn my nose at a 16-18" either they have a benefit for sure.

I would like to hear some real world results using an all copper bullet at 800 yards. My own experience using them in fast cartridges, 264WM, 270 Bee, 300WM, 300RUM & my own wildcats based off the 416 Rigby case have all, but my wildcats, fallen short and max out for expansion around 600 yards. The 180g Barnes TTSX out of both the 300WM & RUM had poor expansion just beyond 400 yards. Haven't tried the LRX yet, but interested to see results.

Cheers.
I had the same issue with Barnes. Switched to cutting edge and they seemed to be much better. The raptors would give up the ghost before the laser. But I've taken game past 800 with the laser and it shed weight like intended. That being said in my more common calibers like 6.5 I've found a much more consistent and better expansion from the hammers. So I gave up a bit of bc for the better on game performance. I now only use the cutting edge for my very long range stuff. Over 1k. I have made hits on steel at 1300 with the hammer and it made a splash type mark but. I don't equate that to on game.

I had the same issue with Barnes. Switched to cutting edge and they seemed to be much better. The raptors would give up the ghost before the laser. But I've taken game past 800 with the laser and it shed weight like intended. That being said in my more common calibers like 6.5 I've found a much more consistent and better expansion from the hammers. So I gave up a bit of bc for the better on game performance. I now only use the cutting edge for my very long range stuff. Over 1k. I have made hits on steel at 1300 with the hammer and it made a splash type mark but. I don't equate that to on game.
I have moved away from most conventional bullet types below .277" in my hunting. The 25-06 and 257 Bee have been fed with either Accubonds or TTSX, in 6.5, 264WM and 260AI, I'm using 129g or 142g ABLR, in 6.5x47 I'm using Lapua and Norma bullets.
My 257AI gets fed 100g Ballistic Tips and I'm yet to feed it with anything else, tested 110g Accubonds, but wasn't impressed with the 150fps slower velocity than the 100g…
Getting Badlands or Cutting Edge bullets here is difficult, Australia has strange restrictions on some US products.

Cheers.

Recent Posts