how good can you shoot? trying to come up with some goals.

I can nearly always hit in a 12" circle with my first shot at 600 yards and keep most of my shots in that circle during a 20 shot string using an AR-15 service rifle (open sights) and a sling. With a more wind resistant bullet/cartridge combination (like a 6XC), I can keep most of my shots in a 6" circle at 600 yards prone with a sling.

That sounds pretty impressive too, good shootin!:)

I don't know if I could shoot that good with open sights. I've used a scope of one sort or another for the last 30 years.

That sounds pretty impressive too, good shootin!:)

I don't know if I could shoot that good with open sights. I've used a scope of one sort or another for the last 30 years.

I made 50 last year so I am not some youngster with eagle like eyesight. I have shot across the course, mid range and some long range high power rifle matches and practice about 3 times a month for the past 10 years. It is a great way to really learn how to shoot a rifle. The last trip I made out west, I killed a mule deer at 322 yards. It doesn't seem like much, but he was laying down facing me and I put a 140 fail safe through his heart with my first shot. I was using a custom .280 and shooting from the prone position with only a sling for support. While I was laying there I knew that I could make the shot. Confidence is a wonderful thing.

There are many kinds of highpower shooting disciplines available that use both iron sights and scopes and both slings and
rests. I encourage anyone who wants to hone their shooting skills to find a program and participate.

Dan

Last edited:
Here is a 20 shot 600 yard target. The score is 195-7x. The X ring is 6"; 10 ring is 12" and 9 ring is 18". As you can see I lost 1 shot to elevation and 3 shots to missing wind pick-ups. This was shot with an AR-15 Service Rifle in .223 from prone position using a sling. The load was an 82 gr Berger over 24.1 gr RL15 for about 2650 - 2700 fps. It looks like I held about 1.5 MOA elevation which is pretty good for me using a post front sight. It is not a teeny little group, but the OP asked how YOU can shoot, not your gun.

600ydtarget.jpg

Great shooting DZelenka. There's no shame in using a scope. But, it's nice to see that some folks still have the skills and put in the practice to shoot open sights really well. I have a lot of respect for the guys that shoot Service Rifle and Palma.

My eye sight started going south the day I turned 40. As a result, I can't shoot as good as I once could. But, I can shoot once as good as I ever could.

Great shooting DZelenka. There's no shame in using a scope. But, it's nice to see that some folks still have the skills and put in the practice to shoot open sights really well. I have a lot of respect for the guys that shoot Service Rifle and Palma.

My eye sight started going south the day I turned 40. As a result, I can't shoot as good as I once could. But, I can shoot once as good as I ever could.

My point was certainly not to shame using a scope. I have scopes on everything except my competition guns and I will even shoot with a scope on my match rifle sometimes. Believe it or not, I usually don't score as well, but I think that is because the scope lulls me into a false sense of security and I forget to make sure my position and natural point of aim is perfect before breaking the trigger.

Part of why I posted was a pitch for others to try competitive shooting whether it be across the course, prone or F Class. There is so much that can be learned and it gives you a reason to get out and practice. One other thing that some competitve shooting teaches is to make first round hits. In some service rifle matches (specifically Excellence in Competition and National Trophy Matches), you do not get sighting shots. Every shot counts. Putting your first shot in the 10 ring at 600 yards becomes important and gives you good reason to learn your rifle's zeros and how to read wind - both of which will help you in long range hunting. Even at 300 yards, this skill is important because you shoot a 10 shot rapid fire string at that distance. If you blow either aspect, you will put more than just one shot outside of the 6" 10 ring. My best 300 yard string was 100-8x which measured 3.25" center to center for 10 shots. These were fired starting from the standing position, dropping into prone, shooting 2 shots, change magazines and then shooting 8 more all in a time limit of 70 seconds. It will teach you to set up and get off a shot rather quickly, but be accurate at the same time.

NRA has created some new classes that allow shooting across the course (standing, sitting and prone at 200, 300 and 600 yards) with optic sights. I am hoping it gets more people involved.

I didn't start shooting competitively until I was 41. Talk about an exercise in masochism. I have learned more about lenses and eyesight than I ever thought I would need to know, but you do what you gotta do.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.