How lightweight can you get?

if you want cheap, lightweight, and accurate. grab a savage lightweight hunter. they come in at 5.5#'s bare. You can throw a titanium bolt with a carbon fiber knob on it to lighten it a little bit more. I have one with a Carbon 6 barrel and a titanium bolt handle with carbon fiber knob, talley lightweight rings, leupold vx3i 4-14x50 with 30MM tube and side focus. It comes in at 7.2lbs cause of the scope. 5.6 lbs bare rifle. shoots 1/2 moa with 143gr ELD-x. Its a 6.5 CM

Your rifle doesn't sound cheap, nor did the money you spent save any weight from its original configuration. I'm not saying you didn't have your reasons for doing what you did. Just that if light weight is the goal your money didn't really gain you anything, unless your rifle couldn't hold .5 MOA to begin with.

Your rifle doesn't sound cheap, nor did the money you spent save any weight from its original configuration. I'm not saying you didn't have your reasons for doing what you did. Just that if light weight is the goal your money didn't really gain you anything, unless your rifle couldn't hold .5 MOA to begin with.

I never said mine was cheap, said the factory rifle is cheap for a lightweight rifle haha. But this build didnt cost me much i paid $1100 cdn and it came with an extra stock and bottom metal/mag, and bolt knob from a Model 10TR, i sold the stock and bottom metal for $200, then put the bolt knob on another rifle. So i paid $900 for a rifle, for me to get a carbon six barrel in canada would have cost me north of $1000. Then i put a titanium bolt handle with carbon fiber knob on it which cost me $100. I think $1000 for a 5.6LB near 1/4 MOA rifle with a carbon fiber barrel is pretty cheap. I did not gain anything weight wise, in fact i probably added an ounce with the barrel, but i can shoot strings of bullets and not worry about the barrel heating up and groups opening up and it looks bad *** lol. I also own a savage lightweight hunter in .308 and it shoots sub moa with factory hornady precision hunters.

But this build didnt cost me much i paid $1100 cdn and it came with an extra stock and bottom metal/mag, and bolt knob from a Model 10TR, i sold the stock and bottom metal for $200, then put the bolt knob on another rifle. So i paid $900 for a rifle, for me to get a carbon six barrel in canada would have cost me north of $1000. Then i put a titanium bolt handle with carbon fiber knob on it which cost me $100.
That puts your 6.5 CM into perspective seeing as you bought it used with the barrel and bolt handle installed. I just couldn't see how adding what basically amounts to $800 US in a barrel and bolt handle and not save weight was pertinent to the discussion of a light weight build. I have no issues with Savage rifles and shoot quite a few myself.

That puts your 6.5 CM into perspective seeing as you bought it used with the barrel and bolt handle installed. I just couldn't see how adding what basically amounts to $800 US in a barrel and bolt handle and not save weight was pertinent to the discussion of a light weight build. I have no issues with Savage rifles and shoot quite a few myself.

No worries, It would still come in lighter and cheaper than quite a few options out there and shoot as good or better than most of them to IMO. I like the stiffer barrel. If i could find a SWFA Ultralight in canada i would probably switch up the scope since the effective range of my riffle is really only about 400 yards i think the Leopold is overkill. I do more whitetail hunting than sheep though and the extra scope is nice for that last light big buck

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.