how good and how often do you clean ur gun?

bigsal5353

im sure this has been asked but my computer sucks and closes the window when i do a search.
ive been shootin about 30 rounds per week, due to all the ground hogs running around and im also new to reloading so im doin alot of experimenting. how often do you guys clean ur rifle???
is it every 20 shots? every 50? every 100?
and how good do u clean it? do u run a brush thru it a few times and a few patch... or do u really take your time? thanks

randy,

the gun is a savage 22-250 no custom work done.

i do shoot moly coated bullets at times.. but my gun seems to shoot better with them. dont know if that makes sense or not, but it seems like my groups are tigher when i dont shoot them. im shooting 40 and 55 grains right now.. dont have a chrony but im guessin by 40 are over 4000fps maybe pushin 4100 and the 55grs are somewhere around 3600 or 3700 fps, thanks for the help

Big Sal
Especially with the advent of the new foaming bore cleaners....

It is now easy for me to clean after I am done shooting...I just foam the bore wait awhile and patch the bore. If I am shoot much over twenty rounds I foam the bore again and patch a couple times then patch with Kroil and I am done.....

Hopefully you have a one piece quality cleaning rod and good brass jag.

You can make a rod guide that fits your chamber by drilling out the primer pocket of a fired case, to the size of your cleaning rod. Slide it on the rod and start the case into the chamber as you start the patch into the bore....don't push the case in fully with fingers or you will trap the edge of the patch with the mouth of the case as you start the patch...just get the patch started then push the case in behind it.

This will go along way to minimize damaging your rifles throat with the cleaning rod.

Paul

Bigsal, Moly bullets are picky. You need to shoot only moly bullets to get the best accuracy. If you switch back & forth w/o cleaning, I find the moly bullets shoot like crap. Shoot moly bullets from a clean bore & only shoot moly, groups are about the same as nonmoly.

I don't shoot moly, except for the 400gr XLC Barnes. I do clean thuroughly, but not often, 50-100 rounds or there abouts.

What I do lately:

Two soppin wet patches of Shooters Choice.
One dry patch.
One soppin wet patch of SC again.
Brush with bronze brush 5-6-7 round trips.
Two soppin wet patches of Shooters Choice.
One dry patch.
Wrap a patch on a Dewey jag, coat with JB bore paste, 20-30 round trips.

Now at this point, John suggested I might try some isopropyl alcohol to clean up with.
I'm using SC currently.

One dry patch.
One dry patch.
One dry patch. (repeat if needed until no trace of JB exists)

One soppy wet patch of oil, 2-3 round trips.
One-two dry patches.

If I ever use the Sweets 762, I'll use it right before I use JB. I let it set for 20-30 minutes once or twice if needed, hit it with the bronze brush with a few round trips, dry patch and clean out with SC. I'll try the alcohol next time.

Concerning the use of Sweet's; many years ago I read an article in Precision Shooting magazine about making darn sure that the bore is totally free of any solvent before applying the Sweet's.

The author then went on to say that; "by using Isopropyl Alcohol you will neutralize the Sweet's solvet, if this is not done then there could be a chemical reaction." A chemical reaction is something we don't want taking place in our barrels.

So make sure that the barrel is really free of the Sweet's....especially in a SS barrel.

Zod

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.