How do you remove Oryx horns

Gar Guru

There isnt a taxidermy thread on here that I can find, so maybe this is kinda related to Antelope since they also have removable horns. Anybody know how to remove Oryx horns to do a Euro mount?

You can let them decay for a few days if it warm out then you can pull them off sometimes. You can also boil the head and put a plastic bag around the horns so it kind of steams them and you can pull them off.

I used to sweat antelope horns off when I didn't want a lot of shrinkage or deformation. Otherwise I would boil them. If you haven't done it before, You need to be careful. You can melt them.
sweating is basically rotting them off by putting the scull cap and horns in a plastic bag, and maybe even syringe a little water up the base of the horn. I did sheep this way, and it would be anywhere from 2 to 4 days before they pop off.
I would ask on taxidermy.net to be sure about the oryx horns. I've never done one

I did this one and they came right off …. Not hard at all, and im not a taxidermist…

Attachments

• CE88868F-E6CB-4759-8347-F2B03DC30109.jpeg
    CE88868F-E6CB-4759-8347-F2B03DC30109.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 125
The problem with boiling is that you melt the fat and it enters the hollows in the skull, eventually turning the skull yellow. I just soak heads in water, up to the horns, for a week or so. Horns will slip off, you can scrape skin and muscle off the skull, then bleach it and you'll have a nice European mount. I think a better way is to use dermestid beetles (meal worm beetles), but I've never used that.

We finally popped the horns off using the ratchet strap method. However, it was about 3 weeks after I killed it and it was starting to smell BAD! Lesson learned is get the horns off soon after killing the beast.