how bout a medium range gun for new guy

sigep538

Hi guys I already have a win model 100 in 308 that i use for close range hunting up to 250 yards. But i just came into a lil money and would like to find something to reach out and touch em'. I handload a 125 serria soft point that really puts deer down but is not very accurate in my 308. I could find a better load but this is a great woods combo. I love my dads old early 70 BDL 7mm rem mag with a worked load, lighter trigger, and hand bedbing; half inch @ 100 yds is no problem. I really like the low recoil of a 7mm rem and I already have all the reloading toys. I really prefer wood as in a new BDL but would like a heavier barrel, it seems that the new ones have a small contour or am i mistaken. i have shot my brothers sendero and really like it but miss the warmth of walnut. I really would be looking in the used market as i dont want to spend more than 700 any sugestions? i was thinking about buying a used 700 bdl and upgrading along the way because i am still in college for another year.oh yeah i would like to intertain the idea of shooting 600 yds. I have been shooting for around 18 years now so im not completly new to punching paper.

thanks, sigep538

Their nothing wrong with the 308 as far as accuracy goes , I personaly would look at another model maybe a heavy barreled bolt gun generaly they come with a 26" tube but you can get great accuracy and velocity from a 20" and it'll cut alot of weight if its a heavy barrled rig.
My personal longest kill on a big game animal is 618 yds with a custom 308 loaded with factory Black Hills ammo.

Alot of new guys get cought up in the magnum craze thinking that you need a super heavy bullets going super fast and its simply not so.
I would reccomend the 308 for several reasons , alot of good factory loaded ammo , its easy to load for with lots of great componets readly available , low recoil and they are normaly accurate.
I've got a Encore with a 20" heavy barrel that makes for a super short fast handeling gun that realy accurate , I've got a handload that shoot a 165gr Ballistic Tip at 2600+fps and I have consistanly hit 12" gong at 400yds with it and a 6x scope

with the price range you're looking at I would just go with a new remington 700 in like a bdl. then have it bedded and trigger tuned. even then i would think that you would be breaking the 700$ mark. if you can get you're 308 to shoot well with say a 165-180gr. bullet then that would work for cheaper.

I do plan on keeping my 308 since i shoot it off hand fairly well and it is very handy when walking or in thick cover. I really dont mind the recoil of a 7mm rem and have resources to the reloading equipment.

sigep538,

For good out-of-the-box accuracy, walnut stock & under $700.00; you might look at the Savage 114 Classic in 7mm Rem. mag. This rifle is generally accurate for a factory gun & can be improved as often as you wish to invest the money to do so. JMHO
Dave

Welcome

I am also new here and am building a medium range gun (700yds). I chose my old 30-06 as my test bed, This is where I am now.

Model 70. 06
3.5-10X40 target turret Leopuld
Mic A-2
I lapped the trigger and is set to 2.0lbs
I still have the original barrel on the rifle but will have a lilja put on it when it's all said and done.
Jeff over at nightforce is sending me a set of 20 moa, bases for the scope. Oh and by the way he has a new titanium tactical ring out, the dam thing is great!
I will be using 168gr. VLD's

That's were am at for now!

Brian Anchorage Alaska

If you really need a new rifle how 'bout a Remmy CDL in 7mm Rem. Mag.? IMO a much nicer looking rifle than the BDL, and I believe they come with a 26" tube. At least the one I bought last year did!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts