Hornady response to A-Max ??

Charter

This was hornady's response to the use of AMAX on game. Note the gel test data...

I don't see any reason that the AMAX bullets could not be used on coyoes and other small game. The bullets were disinged for match target but do have a lead core and the polimer tip to make it open up quickly. The bullets will open and fragment even on the small fox. We usuall see 15" in a geliton test with the fragnentation from 2" to the 15".

Charter,
We usually see 2" to 15" holes on the whitetail test with a lot of bone and tissue fragmentation.
shocked.gif

I have been using A-max for the last year and found them to be very explosive on game. I load them in a 223 and 308. I think shot placement is key. Double lung em and they will not go far! They shoot really well for me at the bench. The price is nice too!

I have just watched 2 videos from this site and they show how the a-max along with other bullets make the hunted animal very very dead

leupold man

I think the A-Max bullets are the best Accuracy/Terminal Effect bullet for your dollar on planet earth, no doubt!

Question
When is Hornady gonna wake up and make a heavier 30cal.AMAX. Anyone know ?
Anyone here have any pull with em ?

After one year, my brother retired his 22/250 for killing wolves with, they love to just run off and act like they never been hit at all. I think that's the bullet he used exclusively. He moved back up to the 30's (300wsm) and hasn't lost one since. I think he uses the 125gr TNT in it.

I killed a black recently with the 178 A-Max with the 300Ultra through the spine and out the throat, DOI. My buddy Eric just killed one from a stand with his 338wm and a 225XLC, his hit the spine and turned then ran the length of it to his ear and stopped, one pettal broke off and went through his spine and throat, she dropped and never moved though. These were both just small 5' bears...

The 22's kill, but they ain't for me and the bigger stuff is all. Diameter "with speed" adds a little extra shock power from the larger bores.
smile.gif

I have a 223 and use 52 gr. A-max and H-335.In New York you can use a 22 center fire to hunt deer with. Again, I think shot placement is the key. Head or neck shots and they drop like a sack of potatoes. Pick your shots and you can't go wrong. If there is any doubt move up in caliber but stick with the A-max. In my 308 Win., it's Varget and A-max. It's like Ice Cream and Apple Pie, they just go together. I like to stress test my loads using milk jugs filled with water. I would rather spend my time at the range blowing up milk jugs then cutting the lawn or doing the honey do list. I'm sure you would agree. Compared to other match bullets the A-max is worth a try.

Deergrunt, What's your load exactly with H335 and the 52? And how far do you seat off the lands? I've got a group of .194"(4 shots)with 22.5grs H335 and 55VMAX .006" off the lands. Have you ever tried Benchmark in your 223? Thats my next powder to try with it Wednesday If weather permits. Jay

Jay,
I use 24.8 grains of H-335 behind a 52 grain A-max. I try and use Winchester brass but I have been known to use range brass once in a while. CCI mag primers seem to work the best for me. C.O.L is 2.300" I shoot a Remington 700 VLS. If you run out of 335 try Varget. I'm finding out that it seems to work well in all my calibers (223, 308. & 30/06). Let me know how you make out with Benchmark.

Deergrunt

Deergrunt, My OAL is 2.280, .006" off the lands, same as the 55 V-Max, they must have the same ogive, you must be into the lands a bit. I'm well aware of Vargets versatility, that and H4895 are 2 of my favorite powders, I may buy some RE 15 to see if there's any difference between it and Varget, I believe it's Vargets twin brother from some of the data I've seen, It's the accuracy load powder for alot of rounds I shoot, 708, 22-250, in the Sierra book. I'll let you know on the Benchmark test.
wink.gif
Jay.

Jay if you like the 55gr vmax,52gr amax, or Hornady 52grmatch H335 cannot be beat for accuracy. It also loads so well due to it being a ball powder. The next best powder I have tried is BLC2 which will give a very slight velocity advantage but ever so slightly less accurate. Deergrunt's load happens to be the very same load that I shot of H335. I used a cci magnum primer.

Brent what an adrenaline rush hunting a black bear with a 223. I figure their heads are the size of a chuck. One well placed 68gr match right in the noodle. How does S1 say it DRT!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.