Hornady OAL Gauge Brass From Another Chamber

General RE LEE

I sent a once fired piece of brass from my Tikka T3x to Copper Creek and they threaded the case head for the Hornady OAL gauge.

I've got a new Tikka T3x coming in the same caliber (6.5 Creedmoor) and I would like to use the piece of fired, threaded brass in the new rifle.

Will the chambers between 2 Tikka T3x rifles be similar enough that I can use that case to get OAL and CBTO measurements?

As long as it chambers should work fine. I use the standard Hornady in most of my rifles but measure the difference between fired brass and the gauge piece to the shoulder and adjust my measurements accordingly. The gauge is really giving you shoulder to lands anyway we just measure from case base because it's easy.

I sent a once fired piece of brass from my Tikka T3x to Copper Creek and they threaded the case head for the Hornady OAL gauge.

I've got a new Tikka T3x coming in the same caliber (6.5 Creedmoor) and I would like to use the piece of fired, threaded brass in the new rifle.

Will the chambers between 2 Tikka T3x rifles be similar enough that I can use that case to get OAL and CBTO measurements?
If it is the same cartridge (6.5 Creed) it should not matter. We made hundreds of OAL Gauges for LRH members.

EDIT
BTW
If anyone still needs a OAL Case Drilled & Threaded - we will do it for FREE. You can search for previous Posts on this.
Len & Jill

Last edited:
Don't get too caught up in getting a perfect measurement of where the bullet hits the lands. At the end of the day it's just a measurement to give you an idea of the longest round you can load that will still chamber properly. Use whatever you have to get close, then record all your measurements as BTO rather than distance to lands. It doesn't matter if your bullet jumps 9 thou or 12 thou as long as you know you want to load 2.156" BTO. While I agree using a piece of brass fired from your rifle will likely give a more accurate measurement than a generic factory modified case, there's no practical advantage to it since it's not a critical measurement.

Don't get too caught up in getting a perfect measurement of where the bullet hits the lands. At the end of the day it's just a measurement to give you an idea of the longest round you can load that will still chamber properly. Use whatever you have to get close, then record all your measurements as BTO rather than distance to lands. It doesn't matter if your bullet jumps 9 thou or 12 thou as long as you know you want to load 2.156" BTO. While I agree using a piece of brass fired from your rifle will likely give a more accurate measurement than a generic factory modified case, there's no practical advantage to it since it's not a critical measurement.

Roger that. I reload for hunting rifles so if the magazine will allow it, I always just go for 20 thousandths off the lands for simplicity. The only rifle I own that I can get close to lands and load the magazine is my Tikka T3x 6.5 CM

While I agree using a piece of brass fired from your rifle will likely give a more accurate measurement than a generic factory modified case, there's no practical advantage to it since it's not a critical measurement.
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

Agree x100