Hornady no boom boom

Do the failure to fire rounds have gun powder in them? If you have any unfired rounds and can wrigh them--- compare the weights......I have seen some like that BUT they were a friend's reloads and he forgot to put powder in them--- the primer actually fired off but the bullet never moved.
Just 1 more thing to check into anyway. I highly doubt it's the case but it's something to check
There all factory loads from Hornaday. No reloads at all. Unless they didn't fill them from the get go.....

I know-- that's why I said I doubt this is the case BUT it is a remote possibility that they got skipped over in qc and might not have powder-- I doubt but it's something that is easy to check
I'll see about weighing them when I get home.
I'm really starting to think it was a combination of bad primers an the pin spring. Tom ill try them all again in both rifles an see

Talk

Talk to Me like a 5th grader lol
I'm semi lost on what your talking.
I don't think he was talking to you like a 5th grader, Didn't sound that way at all. I have told people so many times about the firing pin hole needing bushed that I'm tired of beating a dead horse, That's why I didn't say anything to you about it, Your Rem 7 works for now, Keep shooting it until there is a problem, At that time you will need to get the firing pin turned down and the firing pin hole bushed smaller. The reason the primer is extruded is because if you look at the primer closely, You can see that the firing pin is quite a bit smaller than the hole, You can see the primer material flowed around the firing pin tip and into the hole, Creating the extrusion.

Should you start reloading and push the limits on your 7mm-08, You will experience pierced primers, If you continue shooting it that way, You will have several problems, You will get primer blanks inside the bolt causing malfunction or breakage, Then it will also cause flame erosion of the firing pin hole, The firing pin and the bolt face.

Bergara bolt was fully broken down an cleaned as far as I could without knocking pins out.

Yes I used all Hornaday
150grain failed.
139grain failed.

Took failed rounds into Remington Model 7 7mm-08 tried them there. Still failed. An I know the model 7 is good.

I'm thinking it's a combination of bad primers an dirty bolt.

I spoke with someone who told me the firing pin springs are weak am that if I call bergara they'll send me a longer one.
I generally don't try firing ammo that has already had firing pin strikes on it because you're just adding a new variable. Now if you had fresh ammo and attempted to fire it in your Model 7 then that's fine.

Here's what I would have done:
Take pictures of the primer strikes from ONLY the Bergara and not both rifles. Get a different brand of ammo and try it in the Bergara. If ammo from two different manufacturers both have issues then it's probably the Bergara. If you don't have any issues with the second brand of ammo then it's most likely the Hornady. If you add too many variables the manufacturers don't have a good idea what the problem is and you might have to send back the rifle or ammo on your dime.

If the ammo does not fire in either gun then its NOT the Bergera that is at fault, is it is clearly the ammo. So given the light primer strikes from both guns it may be that the cases are way under size and are sitting so far forward the pins are hardly reaching the primer. Other issue is could be a bad batch of primers. Final possibility is the piowder. First step, measure case from face of cartridge to Datum line, is it in spec. If it is too short - excess head space, you may have your answer. You can also measure a couple of the fired ones the same way and compare that to the ones that didn't go bang. Next pull the bullet, check for powder. Final stage is dump powder, use a light to see if thhe flash hole is obstructed. Next, gently remove the primer and check it, is it fired. Focus on what you know and eliminate things one at a time. Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
I don't think he was talking to you like a 5th grader, Didn't sound that way at all. I have told people so many times about the firing pin hole needing bushed that I'm tired of beating a dead horse, That's why I didn't say anything to you about it, Your Rem 7 works for now, Keep shooting it until there is a problem, At that time you will need to get the firing pin turned down and the firing pin hole bushed smaller. The reason the primer is extruded is because if you look at the primer closely, You can see that the firing pin is quite a bit smaller than the hole, You can see the primer material flowed around the firing pin tip and into the hole, Creating the extrusion.

Should you start reloading and push the limits on your 7mm-08, You will experience pierced primers, If you continue shooting it that way, You will have several problems, You will get primer blanks inside the bolt causing malfunction or breakage, Then it will also cause flame erosion of the firing pin hole, The firing pin and the bolt face.
My apologies I was meaning explain it like I'm a 5th grader. This level of troubleshooting an going into this aspect of cause an effect is all new to me.

I truly appreciate the patience an help everyone is giving.

If the ammo does not fire in either gun then its NOT the Bergera that s at fault, is it is clearly the ammo. So given the light primer strikes from both guns it may be that the cases are way under size and are sitting so far forward the pins is hardly reaching the primer. Other issue is could be a bad batch of primers. Final possibility ithe piowder. First step, measure case from face of cartridge to Datum line, is it in spe. If it is too short - excess headspace, you may have your answer. You can also measure a couple of the fired ones the same way and comare that to the ones that didn't go bang. If they are too short, Next pull thee bullet, check for powder. Final stage is dump powder,, use a light to see if thhe flash hole is obstructed. Next, gently remove the primer and check it, is it fired. Focus on what you know and eliminate things one at a time. Let us know how you make out.
So pulling the bullet ? Grab twist an pull?

Definitely never done what your suggesting doing.

So pulling the bullet ? Grab twist an pull?

Definitely never done what your suggesting doing.
Well in that case, my whole explanation is probably outside your current ability to check. You will either need to find someone that can help you do the steps I laid out, or buy some ammo that is not Hornady and re-shoot your sightin and tests. Second option is the easiest by far given your current equipment and expertise.

If you're not trying to get a refund or replacement ammo from the manufacturer then by all means take apart the ammo. I wouldn't take it apart because if there is a fault in the ammo I want the manufacturer to either replace of refund my money. If I'm troubleshooting the rifle to get any warranty work done then also leave the ammo alone. I'd call both Hornady and Bergara to get this straightened out. But you'll have a better idea if you just get another box of ammo like I said earlier. Good luck.

If you're not trying to get a refund or replacement ammo from the manufacturer then by all means take apart the ammo. I wouldn't take it apart because if there is a fault in the ammo I want the manufacturer to either replace of refund my money. If I'm troubleshooting the rifle to get any warranty work done then also leave the ammo alone. I'd call both Hornady and Bergara to get this straightened out. But you'll have a better idea if you just get another box of ammo like I said earlier. Good luck.
I ordered a new box of Nosler last night to try. I emailed bergara Friday. Haven't contacted Hornaday yet. Haven't figured out how to word a email to Hornaday yet.

I want some kind of reimbursement if possible.

Well bang or no bang roulette record
Bergara 1
Deer. 0

Called Bergara this morning in 2021 they changed the firing pin sleeve. The new spring is stronger. Gentlemen was very helpful an is shipping the new spring out today!

I'll call Hornady later today or once I'm back hone.

Well bang or no bang roulette record
Bergara 1
Deer. 0

Called Bergara this morning in 2021 they changed the firing pin sleeve. The new spring is stronger. Gentlemen was very helpful an is shipping the new spring out today!

I'll call Hornady later today or once I'm back hone.
IMO I'd hold off on the Hornady call. I'd install the new firing pin and try the ammo if there is any left. If it goes bang then it wasn't a issue with the ammo. If you don't have an of that original ammo left then you have no proof that it was the ammo's fault and chalk up the whole thing as a learning experience.

IMO I'd hold off on the Hornady call. I'd install the new firing pin and try the ammo if there is any left. If it goes bang then it wasn't a issue with the ammo. If you don't have an of that original ammo left then you have no proof that it was the ammo's fault and chalk up the whole thing as a learning experience.
You have a great point! Thank you

I will do that. I still have ammo from that batch leftover.