Hornady "LOCK-AN-LOAD" progressive press question!!

i got a hornady progressive last summer/fall ive used it so far to load 9mm and 40s&w - done about 1000 of each. prior to this i was doing it all single stage on my Lee presses…
once i got it setup it has been great! the cartridge change is simple with the plates and you can get additional guages for the powder measure - those are quick release so you can drop it in, verify the powder charge and away you go without much fuss or having to recalibrate the powder measure each time… i may even use this to load the creedmoor at some point…

the ammo plant assessory seems really cool as well but would almost double the cost of the unit and i dont mind feeding it brass and projectiles… just dont smash your fingers! haha. i may have done that once.

I've owned and used a Hornaday LNL press for about 12 years now. Before that - I had an old Lee progressive press for shotgun shell reloading. I currently use the Hornaday LNL for multiple pistol and rifle loads. It is probably one of the least costly progressive presses you can buy and has a wonderful warranty. Couple things I would note about the Hornaday though.... while it works great, I only use it in "full" progressive mode for straight walled case pistol loads, and I would highly recommend getting the micrometer adjustments for the powder throw. I use it as a single or dual press for most all of my rifle loads. I also did some minor mods to the press to get it operating smoothly and how I wanted it to work for me. Shell plate lock washer, washer spacers on the shafts, polished the primer slides, machined the surface beneath the shellplate to reduce the spring loaded ball bounce in the detent holes to reduce powder spillage, added a set screw to the primer tube, added a washer under the primer pin, There is a wealth of information on the internet about improvement mods for the Hornady LNL press. The quick-change bushings are really handy for rapidly changing caliber. Once you get the dies set up in them, there is no need for adjusting the dies again. It takes longer to change out the shell plate and primer slide than the dies. I had two parts break on me and a call to Hornaday resulted in free parts shipped out to me the same day. One part I broke due to my own stupidity, the other one literally wore out. Both were replaced free of charge. It has been good to me and Hornaday has stood behind the product. I don't think you would go wrong buying one.

I'd just like to thank everyone for their feedback. It was all positive, and essentially told me what I was looking for. Brownell's has a Memorial Day sale on them this weekend; free shipping and a $50 coupon and a new press is on the way. This is a great forum and would like to thank everyone for taking the time to share their experience/s. There's a great group of folks on here.

You are welcome!

I have used the $28 Bullet Feeder for years but recently picked up the Mini Mr. Bullet Feeder by Double Alpha - it and the second magazine are worth it to me.

I have owned two Dillon press's in the past. A Dillon 550 and a RL-450. Now, for the last ten years I have been running a Hornady LNL press. I really like my Hornady LNL press it runs great for what I use it for, and that is for loading pistol ammunition. I don't load large volume of rifle, so I load rifle ammo on my RCBS press. I will have to admit , it does take some tweaking to get both Dillon and Hornady press's to run flawlessly. Also Hornady has an excellent tech support, which was very helpful at the time I was setting it up and getting use to it. Another reason I chose Hornady was because of the cost vs the Dillon press, it's a lot cheaper for parts accessories and caliber conversions. Now don't get me wrong cheaper In cost not quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Hornady LNL.

Attachments

• 2C22FB8E-2DCF-43FB-B991-D7DD38471A65.jpeg
    2C22FB8E-2DCF-43FB-B991-D7DD38471A65.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
I recently weighed the options and got the Hornady on sale. It took a while to get it set up, and the learning curve was a little steep. After several smallish batches it got MUCH easier. The Hornady LnL has a few quirks, but it runs smoothly. The powder measure is extremely consistant compared to my RCBS measure. I'm happy with the Hornady.

Hornady casefeeder is loud and quirky with certain brass types. I gave up on getting the primers to seat properly on mine.

For me the Dillon 550 is best for loading lots of different types of cartridges. Very quick swapping over but maybe not as cheap as Hornady.

I have an old Hornady LNL Progressive. I used it for 10+ years then bought the upgrade. It was pretty good before the upgrade. After the upgrade, it is super easy to use.

I have never owned blue, but I have studied them. The Hornady is just a simpler machine. When I do my part setting it up and pulling the handle, it responds with loaded rounds. I feed my own cases and bullets.

It does require you master press cleaning and dry lube. It also requires you master pawl settings.

I watched and read lots of reviews on the Hornady LnL and Dillon 550/650 before buying the Hornady. After a few weeks of learning to use the Hornady, I considered selling it at a loss to buy a Dillon. More research followed. I ended up keeping the Hornady and I don't regret it. They are both very good machines that perform the same task a little bit differently.