Hornady 28 Nosler Brass - First Impressions

That is good to hear! I was hoping for sub $2 each price though. Looks like about $2.25 each, not good when their loaded ammo is only $2.65.

Tony,
Here is your sub 2 dollar 28N Brass including some free bullets and powder.

Hornady 8069 PH 28 Nosler 162 ELD-X - 20rd Box $1.89/rd $37.86 Enter ZIP code In Stock 16d ago 46m ago Classic Firearms

Hornady 8069 Precision Hunter 28 Nosler 162 GR ELD-X 20 Bx/ 10 Cs $1.90/rd $38.10 Enter ZIP code In Stock 32d ago 32m ago Foundry Outdoors

Hornady, Precision Hunter ELD-X, 28 Nosler, 162 GR, 20 Rounds Per Box $1.91/rd $38.12 Enter ZIP code In Stock 52m ago 52m ago Mosby Ammo

Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo 28 Nosler 162gr ELD-X 20rd $1.95/rd $38.97 Enter ZIP code In Stock 20d ago 25m ago Ammo Supply Warehouse

Hornady Precision Hunter 8069 20 rounds $1.95/rd $38.99 Enter ZIP code In Stock 40d ago 24m ago Locked Loaded

Hornady Precision Hunter 8069 20 rounds $2.05/rd $40.99 Enter ZIP code In Stock 2d ago 26m ago Dahlonega Gold and Pawn

HORNADY 28 Nosler 162 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter 20/Box $2.09/rd $41.75 Enter ZIP code In Stock 29d ago 45m ago Sportsmans Outdoors Superstore

Hornady 8069 Precision Hunter 28 Nosler 162 Grain ELD-X 20 Box $2.25/rd $45.03 Enter ZIP code In Stock 17d ago 12m ago Wholesale Hunter

Hornady Precision Hunter .28 Nosler Ammunition 20 Rounds 162 Grain ELD-X Polymer Tip Bullet 3175fps $2.59/rd $51.82 Enter ZIP code In Stock 29d ago 5m ago Cheaper Than Dirt

I think I paid $42 for my box of Hornady eldx ammo. Curious to see how it shoots, just waiting to get my rifle back from being bedded.

How do you do the h2o capacity test? This is what I'm curious of on the Hornady brass. Personally I think one of the most important things to look for in brass is consistent volume as this will effect your pressure which in turn effects velocity. Doesn't matter how accurate your powder charge is measured if the case volume is all over the place.

I find it interesting that loaded ammo in may different cartridges and makes is often the same or cheaper than buying just the Brass. To me this says the manufacturers have identified a weak spot and are doing their best to maximize returns.

That aside, it is really good to hear that Hornady is stepping up their quality in brass. Till now I have refused to use their brass unless there was absolutely no other choice because my experience with their brass has shown it to be VERY inconsistent. I am generally a big fan of Hornady so fixing their brass is a big positive.

Will be interested to hear how it stands up to full throttle loads in the 28 longer term..

I think I paid $42 for my box of Hornady eldx ammo. Curious to see how it shoots, just waiting to get my rifle back from being bedded.

How do you do the h2o capacity test? This is what I'm curious of on the Hornady brass. Personally I think one of the most important things to look for in brass is consistent volume as this will effect your pressure which in turn effects velocity. Doesn't matter how accurate your powder charge is measured if the case volume is all over the place.
Colin,
To be honest, I wasn't aware of that. I have never done a H2o test. I'm about to turn 69 and a little shaky in my oder age. So if I manage to get a group under 1" at a hundred yards ( I do with my 28N) I feel like I'm pretty good to go. I'm not shooting competition or 1000 yards plus. Other than for my western Elk hunting trip, 3 hundred yards here in the south would be a rare shot. But I do want to shoot maybe out to 800 yards during my Elk hunt but only if after practice this year I feel comfortable with that range. I've started shooting out to 500 just very recently and only one time so far but that feels manageable. I'm not against trying to do an H2o test. Tell me how it's done and I may try it if it's not too complicated or time consuming>

That is a crazy good price for 28 loaded ammo. If this wasn't a "barrel burner" it would be worth buying just for the brass.

Tony,
I'm not trying to be smart here at all. I think I looked at that load and didn't think of it as a "barrel Burner". What constitutes a load that you feel would burn a barrel up more quickly and what would you consider a load that would generate only minimal to medium wear on a barrel? Again, I'm only asking because I'm not sure that I know. I always thought a Blazing fast bullet would be a barrel burner but some have indicated a heavy for caliber bullet going only 3000 Fps could also be a barrel burner.

Colin,
To be honest, I wasn't aware of that. I have never done a H2o test. I'm about to turn 69 and a little shaky in my oder age. So if I manage to get a group under 1" at a hundred yards ( I do with my 28N) I feel like I'm pretty good to go. I'm not shooting competition or 1000 yards plus. Other than for my western Elk hunting trip, 3 hundred yards here in the south would be a rare shot. But I do want to shoot maybe out to 800 yards during my Elk hunt but only if after practice this year I feel comfortable with that range. I've started shooting out to 500 just very recently and only one time so far but that feels manageable. I'm not against trying to do an H2o test. Tell me how it's done and I may try it if it's not too complicated or time consuming>

No worries sir, I'm only 40 but shake like a coon pooping a peach seed. Lol luckily as long as I can get my right elbow on a solid rest I'm good to go. I'm not sure how to do a h2o test either, I was also asking as I might try to do the test once I shoot the Hornady factory ammo. I have just read on here about how consistent the volume is on lapua and Norma brass, but of course they don't make it in 28 Nosler.

No worries sir, I'm only 40 but shake like a coon pooping a peach seed. Lol luckily as long as I can get my right elbow on a solid rest I'm good to go. I'm not sure how to do a h2o test either, I was also asking as I might try to do the test once I shoot the Hornady factory ammo. I have just read on here about how consistent the volume is on lapua and Norma brass, but of course they don't make it in 28 Nosler.

I read somewhere where Norma makes 26 Nosler brass but I've never seen it available for sale anywhere and I have searched. As you know you can Neck up 26N to 28.

I hear what you are saying. I don't know how much the water test really comes into play. I have been reloading for a number of years and though I liked some brass better than others, if I was competing it might be a serious factor but for hunting purposes I think only the most aneal reloaders would even be concerned. Now if I couldn't consitently get well under MOA that might be one thing I might explore but there would be a bunch of other factors I would look at first.

Forty Two dollars now a days is a really good price for 28N loaded ammo. It's like you're getting the bullets and powder free since the brass alone costs more.
What brand of rifle do you have?

I read somewhere where Norma makes 26 Nosler brass but I've never seen it available for sale anywhere and I have searched. As you know you can Neck up 26N to 28.

I hear what you are saying. I don't know how much the water test really comes into play. I have been reloading for a number of years and though I liked some brass better than others, if I was competing it might be a serious factor but for hunting purposes I think only the most aneal reloaders would even be concerned. Now if I couldn't consitently get well under MOA that might be one thing I might explore but there would be a bunch of other factors I would look at first.

Most Nosler and Weatherby, are all made by Norma. All three are pretty much the same brass. Weatherby has confirmed who makes their brass.

gDgwvyrl.jpg

gDgwvyrl.jpg

For you guys asking about the H20 test.
Take a primed case and zero it on a scale, remove case and fill to the top of the neck with H20. Put the case back on the scale and there's your capacity.

Most Nosler and Weatherby, are all made by Norma. All three are pretty much the same brass. Weatherby has confirmed who makes their brass.

gDgwvyrl.jpg

gDgwvyrl.jpg
I don't know who makes Weatherby brass but the pic just shows that Norma makes brass for that caliber rifle. It doesn't demonstrate that Norma makes brass for the Nosler company. Nosler makes it's own brass too. Many companies including Remington make brass for the 300 Win Mag caliber but that's not saying that Remington makes Winchester brass. Sometimes I hate to do a search for Hornady 28 Nosler brass cause I get all kinds of returns. LOL

It's even complicated trying to explain it. HaHa.
Not sure I should have gone down this wormhole. Ha

What I was trying to say is that I heard that Norma also makes brass for the 26 Nosler Caliber just like Hornady makes brass for it but I wasn't sure as I never seen it. Nosler is an American company and makes it's own brand of brass. Nosler brass is not the same as Norma brass and Nosler Brand brass is not made by Norma. Norma makes brass for different calibers as does Hornady, Remington, Winchester etc. It's a little confusing though for sure. Federal has used Nosler bullets at times for their Ammo. They started doing that in 74.
Attached is a link to the Nosler company and it's history.
https://www.nosler.com/nosler-history/

For you guys asking about the H20 test.
Take a primed case and zero it on a scale, remove case and fill to the top of the neck with H20. Put the case back on the scale and there's your capacity.

That sounds easy enough. But if you do that to all your cases it seems like you would waste a lot of primers by getting them wet?

Forty Two dollars now a days is a really good price for 28N loaded ammo. It's like you're getting the bullets and powder free since the brass alone costs more.
What brand of rifle do you have?

It's a Christensen arms Ridgeline. It shoots pretty good but I sent it to my smith to have him glass bet it in hops to tighten up the groups a little and get a little more consistency. Plus I have some 143 hammer hunters on the way I am really excited to try!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.