Hornady 160 RN in 6.5-284 Winchester

rflemann

Does anyone have any load data or information for loading Hornady 160 gr. RN in 6.5-284 Winchester? I also have similar 156 gr. Privi Partisi bullets that would probably take very close load data too. I have used these 160 gr. Hornadys in 6.5 Creedmore and they are deadly on deer and hogs for me. I would like to start hunting with them in my 6.5-284 Win.

62846073415__46E9FBC4-489A-4617-95FD-C8BD0A3DDA85.jpeg

53 grains of RL-26 and a CCI 250 Mag Primer. Seated looong. Berger 156 EOL Likely I worked that up with Quickload as starting point. 53 was not the top end at all, just where it was accurate.

Sadly I had forgot my Labradar base that day, so no chrony numbers. Need to shoot that gun again before deer season this year and get more data and find out if that group repeats...

Oh and the right lower corner is different group (gun for that matter) for any lurking smart-elics!!!

Edit: Just saw OP is new. So I feel obliged to include the usual verbiage -- you MUST reduce by at least 10%, and in your case, with a different, heavier bullet , maybe even more. Caveat emptor.

View attachment 410767

53 grains of RL-26 and a CCI 250 Mag Primer. Seated looong. Berger 156 EOL Likely I worked that up with Quickload as starting point. 53 was not the top end at all, just where it was accurate.

Sadly I had forgot my Labradar base that day, so no chrony numbers. Need to shoot that gun again before deer season this year and get more data and find out if that group repeats...

Oh and the right lower corner is different group (gun for that matter) for any lurking smart-elics!!!

Edit: Just saw OP is new. So I feel obliged to include the usual verbiage -- you MUST reduce by at least 10%, and in your case, with a different, heavier bullet , maybe even more. Caveat emptor.
He's looking for 160gr Hornady RN information, not the 156 Berger

He himself noted the Privi 156 gr bullet. You will get narry no one who has shot the 160 RN in much of anything. I happen to posses a box of the 160's as well. More as relics. The 156 Berger is far different, but at least in same class, weight wise....

I like Hornady 160 RN soft points because almost all of my shots on deer are 150 yds or less. The sectional density of these long bullets increase penetration and most always there is both a entrance and an exit wound to leave a blood trail in brushy woods that is easier to follow. Yes, round nose soft points may be a little retro, but they work for me! Now if I could just get a good starting load using H4350 or IMR4350........ Thanks!

I like Hornady 160 RN soft points because almost all of my shots on deer are 150 yds or less. The sectional density of these long bullets increase penetration and most always there is both a entrance and an exit wound to leave a blood trail in brushy woods that is easier to follow. Yes, round nose soft points may be a little retro, but they work for me! Now if I could just get a good starting load using H4350 or IMR4350........ Thanks!
I use the 160RN in a 6.5x55 Sweed, just because. Only thing I have shot with it was a 150 boar. Nothing dramatic about it, hole in hole out and a pig that ran about 100yrds before tipping over. They sure do look cool though!
20211210_094954.jpg

Recent Posts