hornady 154gr 7mm sst..... is it enough?

huntinfool18

my question is will the 154 gr sst be enough to cleanly to down an elk at 1000++ yds, given proper shot placement? i would be shooting them out of a 7mm stw with 30" bbl at 3300 fps. thanks huntinfool18

If a 135gr LR .277 @ 3200 will do it, it is without a doubt that the 154 out of the 7 @ 3300 surely will.

Hmmmmm.....proper shot placement, that is the iffy part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

was out practing today and shot a 6.5" group at 970yds. the impresive thing was 4 of the shots would have gone 4.75". hopefully i can shoot that good when the hunt rolls around. huntinfool18

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gifI choke where there's horns in the scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm sure it would "work", but there is A LOT better bullet choices for that kinda range with higher BC's and a little more weight to insure some more penetration.

Why not the 162g SST?? 160g AB?? 168g VLD??

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.