hog hunting

Sorry about the link to the photo's. I thought it was there, it is now.

I was just kidding on the running part. Best thing to do is just stand still and aim carefully. THey generally just go on by ya when there trying to leave the area, it's when you slap one with a bad hit, that they get a real attitude about things. I have had a couple of close calls, but was really only shaken by one big boar. He took a 140gr Nosler from my Contender at 40 yds and then proceeded to come see me about it. It was definately up close and personal, as I got to my rifle and shot him again, he was within about a foot of eating my lunch literally. At the shot I got blood splatter on the boot, that I had raised up to kick him off of me. No aiming on that shot, just poke and shoot.
58268622ClRNWP_ph.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Roy, this is Mike/Tx,
Since we know how fast we are, we just need to be able to beat you through this stuff....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, those hogs have no reach and those trees are pretty close. My experience from being in the pen with them was that a quick jump up on the fence a rung or two was sufficient. The idea was to make it to the fence before they made it to you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The hog was remarkable in that they were always after the human and seemed to know their timing pretty well. I saw one of the slooooower fellas get slashed on the back of the calf. The hog did such a quick neat job that the fella had to be told he was cut...

BTW the rules are pretty easy to live by.

Well hell if you were Conroe you were in my backyard, I live in Magnolia which is about 10 minutes south. My place is about 25 miles east of Madisonville in the Trinity river bottom. Ole Sargent York new that a piece of bottom land was worth more than any hill country or south Texas mesquite.

Drop a line when yall are coming down, we stay on go. Mike and I setup a feeder at 1150yds today. You need to ask ole Mike what he pulled on his buddy today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. But it all payed off later, at least I got to kill something.

Later Tim

It was the triggers fault, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

As Tim mentioned, we set up a feeder yesterday at 1150yds from the barn. This is right next to a overgrown gravel pit that the hogs think is their playpen.

So just to be sure of things we headed out to set up a target and check our Allen Mags, and make sure that our drops dope was on the money. One the way out, I spied a pack of about 8 or so pigs right up by the barn and went to town on them with the SKS. Results were two hitting the ground.

So we get out to the feeder which is set up at a split in the road, and off to our left are several more hogs wandering down the road away from us at about 300yds. We decided to drop the target, and go fetch some artillery. So back to the barn we go and get our A.M.'s.

When we get back we find that the three hogs, have now been joined by another 4 - 6, and a couple of them were pretty decent sized, and instead of being the 300 or so yards down the road, they are now at only about 75.

We slip up to a knol in the road and set up only to find that we are still low and have to crawl forward some more. We get set, and start looking things over and the hogs wind us. They start to slip off into the cotton field which is only a few yards from the roads edge. Well I was already on a hog and told Tim I was going to take the one on the left to take the big on on the right. Well in a situation like this, hogs are hogs, no trophy deer, no points, pick one out and put it down. I was trying to line up on two pretty quick and get the shot off before they headed into the cover, I lined up on the one, clicked the safety off, was just settling behind the trigger, and well I got my pig anyway. Tim was asking me all sorts of not to polite questions. I said well I thought we were going to shoot hogs, so I shot a hog. Hey a hog on the ground beats one on the hoof right?

I have to say in my defense, I have been conditioned for the past years to shoot hogs, shoot them now, and sort them later. We hunt in thick stuff that you can sometimes only see several feet in to wide open pastures. If they are standing around at range undisturbed, pick out the biggest or best of the bunch and put the hammer down. When they are in cover, or on the go, just shoot amungst them and put something down. Well I was in kill a pig mode, from the ten minutes before when I assulted them up by the barn, Tim was in lets look them over and pick out one for the freezer mode. Then throw in going from the trigger on the SKS to the "almost 1lb trigger" on the A.M. and there ya have it.

Tim did end up dropping two up in another pasture as we headed back to the barn. One was out about 450yds and the other came running across at about 200. He made precision head shots on the both of them, which is more than I can say about my shot out in the cotton field. For anyone that hasn't done it yet, the Wildcat 169.5.s are pretty destructive at close range from an Allen MAg. Needless to say it pretty much blew my hog in two. Not much left to work with there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.