Hog Hunting Light

CaptnC

https://iwindfire.com/products/wind...-mount-holder-spare-18650-battery-and-charger

I'm thinking about ordering one of these.

Got on a new lease and the hogs don't make it to our feeder until 7:30pm...that's been about the earliest they have shown up...9:30pm has been the latest...so if we are going to shoot one it will be at night. It looks like we only have 4 hogs ever coming in so I don't want to make a huge investment for something that we will only use a few times.
WGI_0004.JPG

250 Lumens isn't very much. It will work if you have a stand set up close to the feeder or have a very stealthy approach lane. A great hand held for under $50 is at Walmart. Check out the Stanley Fat Max with detachable red lens, 2000 lumens. This will greatly increase your range. You will have a small learning curve on where to hold the Fat Max so you can see through your scope. It's not that big a deal and with a partner it's easy. This light also makes a great varmint calling light.

Last edited:
this is a 100% po boy suggestion, but I know it works..... as long as you have a good scope with decent low-light performance, you can get some of those solar-powered sidewalk lights and put them on the feeder legs. They run forever without any batteries, and they're really cheap. With 3 or 4 of them, they put off just enough of a soft glow to see them come in and line up a shot.

I've really already thought about it, I have used solar powered yard spot lights in my offshore boat at night and they last nearly all night. I wish I could find one with a red lense.

It would be easy to rig up on the varmit cage around the feeder.

Use a red permanent marker to color the plastic light. Or cut a 3 liter clear plastic pop bottle to fit over the lite. Color it with the marker.

Well...my green hunting light is still on its way from China...:confused::confused::eek::eek:

So I'm going to put two of these on my feeder varmint cage.

2017-12-08 16.19.17.jpg

One ready to go...one awaiting red Sharpies :D:D

Anxious for a full evaluation. Were they bright enough? If so what kind of range did you have? Did they last all night? Way toooo much fun!

Anxious for a full evaluation. Were they bright enough? If so what kind of range did you have? Did they last all night? Way toooo much fun!

Well got it semi rigged saturday afternoon...I could not reach the coon cage from the ground...

So I zip tied them to the legs...no hogs come in saturdat night according to my game camera...but there was two deer at the feeder after sun set, we are set up 114 yards from the feeder. Will be a chip shot.

They were not on when he went to hunt this morning, but I'm not sure how good of a charge they had.

I moved them up on the cage before we came home...checked my game camera and they came in before dark twice this past week...

I know most folks like to have red or green light... that's probably true to a certain extent. But it's just not necessary with these sidewalk lights that stay on all the time. Those hogs won't ever know the difference. Plus, I like the contrast against a red illuminated reticle better. I use the ones that are more like an area light, not a spotlight. Anxious to hear a report!

2017-12-19 20.34.08.jpg

Light worked fine...the shot was a little back so I didn't find the hog until the next morning but it did go far...zero blood trail!

Three hogs came in at about 6:15pm...lit them up just fine, but I need to buy her a scope with a lit reticle! She will have one next time!

Love it!!! How far was the shot. How far do you think you could have shot? Were the two lights enough? What brand are they? Any idea how long they stay on? Thanks. Got to have me some.

The feeder is 107 yards away...they are the $9.99 walmart spot lights...I ask my wife if she thought we needed another light and she said no...it was fine. She just couldn't make out the cross hairs like she normally can.

I'm not sure there would be a limit to how far away you could be. It was not dark when they came in...we still had some light to the west.

I know when we get to the stand the for the morning hunt they are out already.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.