hitting the lands? 308 with 169 HPBT Help!

Motoman006

ok im going to try to give as much info as possible
Savage model 10 FCP HS precision 308

i sighted in the gun with cheap ppu 168 hp match ammo and it held under one MOA
and the bullet somewhat hard to chamber with the bolt but they did chamber

i reloaded some of the brass (neck sized only fired in my rifle) and trimmed the empty rounds chamber fine

when i reloaded i sized to 2.005, used a hornady 168hp match and seated to 2.800 overall length, now they wont chamber for crap, after trying to chamber i few i looked and the bullets are hitting the lands or rifling as they are to long over all length

so i re chambered a PPU that are somewhat tight and they are leaving slight marks on the bullet as well but the reloads are much worse

would it be ok to seat them to 2.750? is my chamber just short? i have shot over 50 of the PPU match ammo no problems but i did not want to shoot my reloads with them being so tight the PPU overall length was 2.780
so i tried to set my loads to 2.780 and the bullets was still hitting the lands

I'm thinking to push them back to 2.750

i just have the caliper that came with the RCBS reloading kit no problems with 223 22-250, 204 or anything else we have reloaded

any opinions would be great! thanks

Last edited:
Yes you can seat your bullets to a shorter OAL. You will need watch your powder charge as seating the bullet deeper into the case decreases case capacity.

If the rifle was mine I would have a gunsmith check it over. If something is wrong with your chamber either the gunsmith can fix or contact Savage for repair.

I will contact savage tomorrow and see what they say
I have fired roughly 60 of the 168 ppu ammo through it no issues but seems to chamber somewhat tight, after I nexk sized I can put brass in and out of chamber no problem.. Once reloaded the actual bullet is contacting what I assume to be the rifling and making marks on the just a little above the brass neck

Side note I was testing loads from 41-44 grains with imr 4064 and some loads of cfe 42-45 just isn't get to shoot due to chambering issues

I have used both those powders in my Savage 308 with very good results. Right now I am using IMR 4166. So far I m really liking it. I shoot 175 grain Nosler's CC and Sierra 175 MK. I've also had great results with RL 15 as well.

Motoman,
You really need to get a Hornady bullet comparitor to properly seat bullets to YOUR chamber.

I just checked my Model 10 notes for 168 BTHP and seated to the lands was right at 2.802". And that was after about 1000 rounds of throat erosion. So when the rifle was new I'm sure it was a few thousandths shorter.

Motoman,
You really need to get a Hornady bullet comparitor to properly seat bullets to YOUR chamber.

I just checked my Model 10 notes for 168 BTHP and seated to the lands was right at 2.802". And that was after about 1000 rounds of throat erosion. So when the rifle was new I'm sure it was a few thousandths shorter.

I plan on getting one eventually I have done a lot of reading and seems a lot of savages have short throats mine possibly being one of them
I'm going to change these to 2.750 and shoot them and try to pick up a comparator

I plan on getting one eventually I have done a lot of reading and seems a lot of savages have short throats mine possibly being one of them
I'm going to change these to 2.750 and shoot them and try to pick up a comparator
Eventually may be now. LOL. Hey and excuse to buy tools. I love tools......

Think Homer Simpson only "mmmm tools"....

Yes, you can shorten the COAL, if that fixes the chambering issue then as said, watch the powder charge. My QL says drop the charge by ~0.5 grains as that is the usable case capacity you loose.

There are ways to measure COAL without a Hornady tool. :D

I tried the marker trick on the ammo..
Result I need a full length die
Shoulder off brass is hitting in the chamber and causing the bullet to slight be pushed sideways
I picked up a full length die today and going to try again.. They didn't have a comparator or I would have bought one looks like I'll have to order one

Also did it on the ppu factory ammo and the shoulders are tight leaving marks on it so the shoulders where tight to begin with

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.