• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Hill country rifle

Call Mark, the owner of First Stop Guns in S.D. I know last week he had a Hill country build......300 win mag, and it was topped with a new Swarovski Z8i with the custom ballistic turret. I have the same scope on one of my rifles and can say that it's an unbelievable scope. I can't say enough good things about it.
Anyway, I think he was only asking $5900...heck the scope is $3200-3300 new and the turret has to be bought for $275.
That glass holds its value quite well. So do the math and you're getting a super nice, ready to hunt set up for a good number. He has been known to knock a little off the listed price, but u didn't hear that from me.
good luck....he's a good guy and easy to deal with.

I'm kinda in the market for a new rifle....I'm tempted to buy a Cooper, probably a Timberline, get it cerakoted and even have the stock painted to my liking. I'd be all in for $3100-3300, and use the savings to buy premium glass.

I have one in .260 I mite sell if you are interested let me know and I can send pics.

I'm kinda in the market for a new rifle....I'm tempted to buy a Cooper, probably a Timberline, get it cerakoted and even have the stock painted to my liking. I'd be all in for $3100-3300, and use the savings to buy premium glass.
Yea
I have been looking at the coopers myself all I have been able to find rt now is ridgeway
I have been told by several guys that it alittle lite for long range shooting
I'm trying to stay in a budget lol
But by the time I find a cooper and getting it the way I want it
I think I will be in the same $
U know I'm stilling looking for smokeless muzzleloader too just haven't found what I want yet

The muzz purchase kinda comes down to budget. I've said it before but I see 3 distinct price points with new ones...:.u could possibly find anything used but I never see them for sale in the used marketplace.
The $1200-1400 option is likely the best pure return on the investment. I have two friends that bought the Hankins converted CVA 45-70 and they both love it. Also the Arrowhead Encore barrel has gotten very high marks from everyone I've heard and read about.
The $3500ish will get you a trued REM or Win action along with premium components. I've been told that the action on a smokeless is far less of a priority, and the barrel is what will make it break its accuracy. There are quite a few builders who will do this job and their work is A1.
Finally there is the "go for it, u only line once" route. $5000-5500 and you'll get a build with every component being high end and it will look however u decide, and should shoot as good as any well made centerfire.
McWhorter will have 3-4 made and posted for sale by May/June usually. Their lead time on a spec build is about 3mos. I've owned 2 and both shot one ragged hole at 100 and the ballistics were sick.
They are pricey, but they will develop your load and include enough pre-sized bullets to last quite a while. They will be lasting me a long time, because the one drawback is the recoil. Mine is about 9lbs naked with a 27" barrel plus their brake. I shoot 74gr of 4198 and a 325gr Pittman.....and it knocks the snot out of me. I'll shoot it a few times before each season to practice and foul the barrel, that's it.
Honestly if I could only choose one gun to cover all seasons it would be my .45.
Good luck and I'm happy to share any thoughts or ideas as I've been down multiple paths with smoke poles.

The muzz purchase kinda comes down to budget. I've said it before but I see 3 distinct price points with new ones...:.u could possibly find anything used but I never see them for sale in the used marketplace.
The $1200-1400 option is likely the best pure return on the investment. I have two friends that bought the Hankins converted CVA 45-70 and they both love it. Also the Arrowhead Encore barrel has gotten very high marks from everyone I've heard and read about.
The $3500ish will get you a trued REM or Win action along with premium components. I've been told that the action on a smokeless is far less of a priority, and the barrel is what will make it break its accuracy. There are quite a few builders who will do this job and their work is A1.
Finally there is the "go for it, u only line once" route. $5000-5500 and you'll get a build with every component being high end and it will look however u decide, and should shoot as good as any well made centerfire.
McWhorter will have 3-4 made and posted for sale by May/June usually. Their lead time on a spec build is about 3mos. I've owned 2 and both shot one ragged hole at 100 and the ballistics were sick.
They are pricey, but they will develop your load and include enough pre-sized bullets to last quite a while. They will be lasting me a long time, because the one drawback is the recoil. Mine is about 9lbs naked with a 27" barrel plus their brake. I shoot 74gr of 4198 and a 325gr Pittman.....and it knocks the snot out of me. I'll shoot it a few times before each season to practice and foul the barrel, that's it.
Honestly if I could only choose one gun to cover all seasons it would be my .45.
Good luck and I'm happy to share any thoughts or ideas as I've been down multiple paths with smoke poles.
Thks
U have been a big help
Yea I called mcwhorter on Monday they have a carbon wrap ml just finish up. It's in the 6900$ Naked

Thks
U have been a big help
Yea I called mcwhorter on Monday they have a carbon wrap ml just finish up. It's in the 6900$ Naked
Holy buckets....$6900! I love my McWhorters and can say that in my eyes their rifles are incredible in every way. But, I know de facto that u could have a great builder use the exact same components and get it built for $5500, maybe less.
The guy that built my .280ai could for sure. The only thing u may have to add on in cost is some range time to develop the load. Although every single smokeless that I've seen shoots the same powder (4198), and uses either Pittman or Parker bullets.
I had my 'smith Mount the scope and do some load development and I think he added around $200 to the bottom line.
$6900 is a lot.
Put it this way, I know he could build a smokeless with a top shelf action, Borden, Defiance, Pierce, etc, with a Brux or Bartlein SS barrel for $5k....that's with any stock, cerakoted, braked, jewell trigger, and it would shoot .5moa or better, or he wouldn't sell it to ya.
u could add $300-400 if u wanted a proof carbon barrel.
He doesn't build a huge # of rifles so his wait is reasonable.
Im also sure there are others out there that would give u the same level of Craftsmanship in the same price range.
Just my two cents. Allan (@ McWhorter) will never have trouble selling his builds. Too many uber rich clients that buy 6-7k rifles like I buy a loaf of bread.
There is truth in the saying that u get what u pay for, but there is also a diminishing return that applies in cases like this.
Good luck.

Sorry to troll the thread but I've gotta Custom 7mm Rem Mag on these classifieds for sale. It's got Borden Timberline action, McMillan Rem Hunter Edge fill stock, Hart 4.5 contour barrel, Vais brake, etc. Bullmark, I did the exact same thing you mentioned in the previous post with regards to building my own "McWhorter rifle"...