Higher than published velocities

degreen

I have a Savage 111 LRH in 338 Lapua. I am use 300 grain Bergers, and Berger reloading data. I am loading 88.5 grains of Retumbo, and am getting around 2850 fps. The reloading data is showing 2680 fps with 89.5 grains of Retumbo. Is it possible to be getting 170 fps more velocity than the max load? Using Lapua brass.

I have a Savage 111 LRH in 338 Lapua. I am use 300 grain Bergers, and Berger reloading data. I am loading 88.5 grains of Retumbo, and am getting around 2850 fps. The reloading data is showing 2680 fps with 89.5 grains of Retumbo. Is it possible to be getting 170 fps more velocity than the max load? Using Lapua brass.

what chronograph are you using. Invariable in cases like this it is the croney.

if you have a long range you can check your actual drop data against a ballistic calculator and verify the velocity

Something is not right. 88.5 of retumbo is a mild load. Check with another chrono if you are able. Double check your scale. What is the COAL?

Who says what their barrel got is going to be the same as your barrel?

What is different to your load than their's?

There are many variables that can change internal ballistics, throat length, bullet distance to lands, and even barrel internal dimensions.

Many rifles shoot faster than book velocity, many don't, also.

Unless your rifle is IDENTICAL in every way to the rifle used in the book, and, that you have used EVERY particular in their load recipe to the letter, then anything can happen in your results.
I do not believe that book velocities are gospel and correlate to pressure in differing firearms.

Cheers.
gun)

... There are many variables that can change internal ballistics, throat length, bullet distance to lands, and even barrel internal dimensions...
Unless your rifle is IDENTICAL in every way to the rifle used in the book, and, that you have used EVERY particular in their load recipe to the letter, then anything can happen in your results.

Yes indeed ......................

Lander Wyoming? I got a real nice goat in your neighborhood a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• PICT5421.JPG
    PICT5421.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 47
Who says what their barrel got is going to be the same as your barrel?

What is different to your load than their's?

There are many variables that can change internal ballistics, throat length, bullet distance to lands, and even barrel internal dimensions.

Many rifles shoot faster than book velocity, many don't, also.

I do not believe that book velocities are gospel and correlate to pressure in differing firearms.

Cheers.
gun)

Good grief. Yes, what you stated is fact (mostly) so now tell us which direction the sun will rise tomorrow. The "book" velocities will and do vary quite a bit from actual Joe user loads. However, book velocities are generally higher than real life numbers and the OP's stated velocities are conducive to retumbo loads containing 92-94grs w/a magnum primer. The OP is not shooting a custom barrel and with that particular savage barrel, those velocities are much higher than they should be. Something else (scale, chrono, seating, etc) is suspect.

I've experienced this as well, though there are custom 27" cut rifled barrels on both the rifles I work with. My measured velocities exceed those listed in the manuals for a given charge and that which QuickLoad software calculates. With my 270 the measured velocity/trajectory plot for the BC proves out on the range so I know my chrony isn't too far off. With my latest 300WM project I'm still trying to find good groups, so I haven't verified long range trajectories yet but for my barrel length, cart. length, case capacity and length:

With the 212gr Hornady ELD-X and
80gr Retumbo, QuickLoad says I should be at 2914fps , and I get 3120fps avg.
77.5gr H-1000, QuickLoad says I should be at 2908fps, and I get 3040fps avg.
73gr IMR7828, QuickLoad says I should be at 2932fps and I get 3041fps avg.

(None of these show excess pressure signs)

This is still a work in progress but not out of line with what I saw with my 270 when I was working up loads for it. I guess this proves why the warnings exist about starting low and working up incrementally. Many things about this WM are still a puzzle for me tho'. Following this thread.

Ok. I zeroed my rifle at 300 yards, and used 2700 fps as the base velocity. Took the rifle to the range, and applied the dope given by my Strelok calculator for 800 yards. The impact was high, so I adjusted the dope on the scope. I then adjusted the velocity on the calculator to match the scope, and found that it needed to be 2850 fps to match.

Ok. I zeroed my rifle at 300 yards, and used 2700 fps as the base velocity. Took the rifle to the range, and applied the dope given by my Strelok calculator for 800 yards. The impact was high, so I adjusted the dope on the scope. I then adjusted the velocity on the calculator to match the scope, and found that it needed to be 2850 fps to match.

At 2700 the hit was high at 800 so you adjusted to 2850?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.