? Hey Michigan Out west Mule Deer Elk Hunt interest??

MI.264

I'm still healthy and would like to get out west for a mule deer/elk hunt while things are still working.
I was a guide in Montana and Idaho back in the mid 80's, I also worked around Yellowstone and the Tetons, Dubois Wyoming and know a little bit of that ground through there.
I'm looking, say 3 other guys/gals wanting to go out for a hunt, either this year or 2024. I'm "Not saying I will be the guide, but can and will call for everyone, and help where I can. Best to always hunt in two's. Allow us enough time to do some initial recon and calling hopefully so we can be set for opening morning.
I'm just now thinking of this, so I haven't an area, state in mind yet, though I'd say Wyoming would be my first thought.

I'm going to start checking into it right after this post.
Connect with me here, and we'll go from there.
Mi.264

Last edited:
More research done this morning, findings: Colorado, Montana and Wyoming offer over the counter tags.
My thoughts at this initial time is a back country/ off the beaten path Hunt, and let's see where that goes.

If your thinking Montana..the deadline is end of March to put in for tags .
There is NO over the counter tags for Montana to my knowledge. Unless the rules changed from last season.

Colorado yes Sir ! They sell as many as they can !

Havent hunted in Wyoming for a long time , not sure what has changed there .

Cant beat going out West !
I miss my home ( Montana) everyday !

If the Lord a willin and the Creek dont rize I will be out there next fall Hunting the Big Sky with my Kids !

Rum Man

If your thinking Montana..the deadline is end of March to put in for tags .
There is NO over the counter tags for Montana to my knowledge. Unless the rules changed from last season.

Colorado yes Sir ! They sell as many as they can !

Havent hunted in Wyoming for a long time , not sure what has changed there .

Cant beat going out West !
I miss my home ( Montana) everyday !

If the Lord a willin and the Creek dont rize I will be out there next fall Hunting the Big Sky with my Kids !

Rum Man
Infor I pulled up on the internet. I guided in Montana, and Idaho back in the ,id 80's, where is home?

You're pretty much looking at Colorado for OTC tags for elk, come join the other 50,000 people. No OTC deer in CO. Idaho sold out of non res elk tags in a disaster that lasted a few hours about a month ago. Wyoming you need 4+- ish points for a general elk tag now, if you do your research you can find some easy to draw cow tags. I believe (could be wrong) that MT will take 2 points this year.

Long gone are the days of easy to get (decent) elk tags.

Kalispell is my favorite!
I spent time in Bozeman and Helena .

Rum Man

I'm still healthy and would like to get out west for a mule deer/elk hunt while things are still working.
I was a guide in Montana and Idaho back in the mid 80's, I also worked around Yellowstone and the Tetons, Dubois Wyoming and know a little bit of that ground through there.
I'm looking, say 3 other guys/gals wanting to go out for a hunt, either this year or 2024. I'm "Not saying I will be the guide, but can and will call for everyone, and help where I can. Best to always hunt in two's. Allow us enough time to do some initial recon and calling hopefully so we can be set for opening morning.
I'm just now thinking of this, so I haven't an area, state in mind yet, though I'd say Wyoming would be my first thought.

I'm going to start checking into it right after this post.
Connect with me here, and we'll go from there.
Mi.264
This mornings updates. Colorado Over the counter tags: Colorado is home to the largest elk population in the western United States with a herd of over 250,000. It is also the state with the most OTC units--the only areas you can legally hunt with an OTC tag--but they're still beautiful locations with plenty of elk to go around. Whether you like to hunt with a bow or rifle, they have an opportunity waiting for you. Colorado has 147 units available to hunt with a bow and 92 units to hunt with a rifle. The total price for a non-resident to hunt is $670.25 for a bull elk and $503.12 for a cow or calf, including tag and license

You're pretty much looking at Colorado for OTC tags for elk, come join the other 50,000 people. No OTC deer in CO. Idaho sold out of non res elk tags in a disaster that lasted a few hours about a month ago. Wyoming you need 4+- ish points for a general elk tag now, if you do your research you can find some easy to draw cow tags. I believe (could be wrong) that MT will take 2 points this year.

Montana: They also boast the second largest elk herd on this list at 160,000 elk. They allow you to chase these animals with a bow or rifle in hand, and non-residents can get OTC tags for $273, plus the cost of their general hunting license. Learn more at the website of the Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks Department.

Montana: They also boast the second largest elk herd on this list at 160,000 elk. They allow you to chase these animals with a bow or rifle in hand, and non-residents can get OTC tags for $273, plus the cost of their general hunting license. Learn more at the website of the Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks Department.
Wyoming is a great state for hunting elk. It has a herd size of 90,000, and hunters see an overall success rate of 28 percent. They allow you to purchase an archery stamp, which lets you hunt the archery season, and if you don't have success you can come back when the rifle season opens. This includes any leftover licenses after the leftover draw and resident general licenses. Non-residents can hunt this state for $692 and the archery permit will cost an additional $72.

More research done this morning, findings: Colorado, Montana and Wyoming offer over the counter tags.
My thoughts at this initial time is a back country/ off the beaten path Hunt, and let's see where that goes.
OK, further into the research Wyoming in my view is out as they require all non-residents to have a guide. Wanting to do this without a great deal of added cost. So Colorado and Montana. I say this because these two states are the closes.

Yes, further research is showing nothing of promise. Looking at North & South Dakota for Muley's

Wyoming you only need a guide to hunt wilderness. Everything else is fine. Lots of guys DIY Wyoming every year.

The biggest problem is going to be getting tags, in the random regular draw last year I think odds were around 7% for a general tag. High points I would guess 3.5-4 for special and 4.5-5 for regular this year but who knows guys may be point dumping like crazy this year trying to get out.

Montana I'm not sure where you're finding 273.00 otc tags, that must be for B cow tags or something. A MT elk combo was 971.50 and non res have to draw.

Colorado is actually OTC for a good number of units. Show up at Walmart and buy a tag. It's crowded and success isn't high but it's certainly doable to kill a bull if you work at it. Some deer units are pretty easy to draw so you could combo deer/elk during second or third season without too much trouble. OTC elk may be going away in the near future, so if it's something your thinking about I wouldn't wait to long.

Utah has the any bull tags for certain units, those go on sale in July and aren't a bad option either. They go quick I think last year they sold out in around 5 hours. About the same quality of hunt as CO OTC imo.

Well I think I might try Colorado, use to live out there, have some friends out there as well.
Thanks everyone for the feed back.