• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Henry Long Ranger in .338 Federal or .308

WahooYahoo

I have been searching for a .338 Federal, off and on, for a while. My reading and searching led me away from some, like the Kimbers, and straight into the arms of the Henry Long Ranger. If you happen along one, please let me know. I am also considering the .308 Long Ranger.

Thank you,
Erik
[email protected]

I can't say enough good about my Kimber 338 Fed. I own Kimber, Tikka and Fieldcraft in 338 Fed and they all shoot sub MOA. Had a Ruger and is too shot well, but found it too heavy.

No disrespect intended. I was offered a few Kimbers so I began to look em up. Knowing nothing of them, I searched and read a lot. It seems Kimber's are a coin toss; either good or bad. It's commonly referred to as Kimber Roulette. I don't like the odds that someone would sell the good one.
How do you like that Fieldcraft? Let me know if you decide to part with it.

I have owned two Long Rangers.One a 223 the other a 308.Do your self a favor and buy a BLR.

I chambered a 338 Federal barrel from a 1.25 blank for a M1a. What a pain that wae doing the work on a manual lathe, a Jet 1024. Fireforming, we just rattled a couple of boxes of old M118 Match brown box through the barrel.

The project was for a shooting buddy from Slidell. Too lazy to tackle my own 338 Fed M1A.

I have owned two Long Rangers.One a 223 the other a 308.Do your self a favor and buy a BLR.
Please let me know more. I considered the BLR. I believe they still make it in .358 Win and .308. I leaned to the Henry because of asthetics, it's American made, reviews seemed to be consistent... What is your experience and why the BLR? And, thank you for you time

Please let me know more. I considered the BLR. I believe they still make it in .358 Win and .308. I leaned to the Henry because of asthetics, it's American made, reviews seemed to be consistent... What is your experience and why the BLR? And, thank you for you time
I had trouble with feeding on both of them.Accuracy left a lot to be desired.Both were sent back to the factory and came back not better than when they left.Was told the accuracy was ACCEPTABLE.Not for me it was not 2 to 3" groups at 100 yards.I too wanted them to be great USA made rifles.They don`t hold a candle to a BLR.Every BLR I have owned has been a shooter.No jams,trouble feeding,better blueing.One fault of the BLR is the trigger and that can be worked on.JMHO,Huntz

I had trouble with feeding on both of them.Accuracy left a lot to be desired.Both were sent back to the factory and came back not better than when they left.Was told the accuracy was ACCEPTABLE.Not for me it was not 2 to 3" groups at 100 yards.I too wanted them to be great USA made rifles.They don`t hold a candle to a BLR.Every BLR I have owned has been a shooter.No jams,trouble feeding,better blueing.One fault of the BLR is the trigger and that can be worked on.JMHO,Huntz
Very good to know. Thank you for the insight

No disrespect intended. I was offered a few Kimbers so I began to look em up. Knowing nothing of them, I searched and read a lot. It seems Kimber's are a coin toss; either good or bad. It's commonly referred to as Kimber Roulette. I don't like the odds that someone would sell the good one.
How do you like that Fieldcraft? Let me know if you decide to part with it.
No taken, just wanted to relay my experience. Ive had a few kimbers and never had any issues. Love the fieldcraft with exception of the lack of a locking bolt when on safe. It was a 7-08 that the previous owner had it rebored to 338 fed. Now its even lighter:)