HELP WITH 6,5-284 BUSHINGS

älg

I got the redding bushing die (fl), planing to use lapua not neck turned brass; still don´t have the rifle but neck should be a min. factory spec. .3.

WHich bushing/s would you reccomend to use with lapua brass? problem is I still don´t have any lapua brass nor loaded rounds to measure.
Thanks.

Since it's a no-turn case,it will most likely be about .296" with a bullet seated.You will most likely using a bushing that's about .292-294. I would buy 2 or 3 bushings starting at .292,up to .294 to start.

alg, The correct way to figure out a bushing is to measure a loaded round and then subtract 2-3 thou from that measurement. I'm not sure how thick Lapua necks are compared from other brands, but only by actually measuring the width of a loaded round can you be accurate. Then go one or two sizes plus or minus to see what holds bullet tension best and shoots better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

yeah, problem is how do i load without bushings? I´m looking forºsomeone who can tell me the aprox. bushings. thanks anyway.

Alg,

my 6.5x284 has a tight (.291" neck), so I have to turn, however I seem to recall my last lot of virgin Lapua brass measured around .294" before I started working on it.

For my chamber, I turned the cases to .287". A loaded round measures .289" so I use a .288" bushing, which gives me a nice snug fitting bullet. I tried .287" and .286" bushings (as per the recommended 2-3thou less) and found that with these, I had a pronounced bulge beneath the base of the bullet when seated - my throat is quite long to accomodate 140 grainers to seat them just within, the neck, no deeper.

I would purchase a few different bushings and experiment as per previous posts.

alg,
Kirby Allen built my wife and myself each 6.5 284 rifles. I ended up using .294 bushing for hunting rounds with Lapua brass. You did not indicate what you would use the rifle for. Most 6.5 284s seem to shoot better with less bullet grip than I am using, but on a hunting rifle I have had problems with less bullet grip. If you choose to not lube the necks the bullet grip will be different than if you do lube. Your rifle will end up telling you what it likes, but .292-.295 will get you started.
Good Luck with your 6.5
Joe

Thanks guys,looks like the new lapua brass is around 294, so I´l try your suggestion.

alg, Remember that you need to add the bullet thickness to your measurement. Bullet usually adds 2-3 thou, so your 294 guess might work out. As others have said, depending on bullet, chamber, recoil, single vs multiple rounds in magazine, etc. can change your final bushing size. I like it tight enough that I can't push in the loaded round. This amount of tension in my rifle stops bullet pulling during recoil. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You are right, I should´ve specified . it is mostly going to be for hunting so the bullets have to be able to stand there in the neck.

Thanks wapiti.It´s clear that I won´t buy just one bushing and be done, but I needed an starting point and you guys have confirmed the information I needed.

I´l post the results.. when I have the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts