help with bullet selection. .284

firstcoueswas80

so here is my dilemma, i am having a hard time picking out which bullet i want to shoot from my 7mag. i have a 270wsm that shoots 140 accubonds scary well and do not want a ballistic replica of that. i dont know what bullet to use! i have been tinkering with the 120 TSX with little succes, but things are starting to get better. the deer i hunt are small coues deer with shots ( my shots) being MAYBE 600 yards at the absoluete most with perfect conditions, but would 99% of the time be kept under 500 yards. please help me pick out the bullet of my dreams! another factor is i like all of my guns to be able to range from coyotes-deer-elk-javelina in a pinch. i want to load a bullet that is tought enough to kill elk, but will also open up on our small deer(deer will be the primary target of this gun) please help!
thanks!
Casey

Nosler 7mm 160 gr Accubond. It will cover everything from mice to moose both near and far.

JD338

I agree with JD338 for the accubond. I found my load for my 7mm mag today. I have been working with different loads for scirocco's, but couldn't get'em to group under an 1" (I'm picky).. Boy I followed some advice to try the accubonds and they clovered 3 shots on top of each other - probably measured under 1/4". Here's the recipe for my gun:

Winchester Brass, CCI Magnum 250 primers, Alliant RL-19 65.4gr., 140gr. accubonds.. Best of luck! I hunt South Texas...

Spino

[ QUOTE ]
Boy I followed some advice to try the accubonds and they clovered 3 shots on top of each other - probably measured under 1/4". Here's the recipe for my gun:

Winchester Brass, CCI Magnum 250 primers, Alliant RL-19 65.4gr., 140gr. accubonds

Spino

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, I used to load 66 gr RL19 with 140s; shoots like a charm out of an old M700 7RM.

160 accubond +5
Unless you want to give the 150 sciroccos a try, although:
1. they usually do not group as well as the nosler accubond
2. less reliable in my opinion

Sciroccos however tend in my experience to expand more.- also and as a consequence less penetration.

Another option would be to talk to R. Graves -wildcat bullets- and see if he can already come up with a bonded rbbt 160 grainer. Until recently he could not make bonded bullets in the RBBT configuration.

My .284 wsm loves H 4831sc and 140 gr Lost River 140 gr not cheap but BC is 644 very high and very accurate only proble with this bullet is it could possible pass through three deer it penetrates like no other bullet I have seen. good for big game

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.