Need help with Redding Bushings

Savage101

Hi, I could use a little help from some of the more experienced reloaders here...

I ordered a set of bushing dies from Redding in .270WSM caliber. Now I need to order the correct nitrite bushings for it.

I measured a LOADED round (as per Reddings instructions) and came up with .307. The instructions then said to subtract .001-.002 from that number, so I would end up with a .306-.305. bushing...

Problem is, when I look at the SAAMI specs. for .270WSM it states the neck diameter as .314. I need help in figuring out what correct size bushing I need is, any help?

Thanks in advance..

Measure a loaded round and subtract 2 or 3 thousandths. I like more tension so I can load in the rifling and not pull a bullet. Also so recoil doesn't move bullets in the Magazine. Sometimes more tension is more accurate. SAMMI is max chamber dimension. If your loaded round measures .307 I would order a .305 and a .304. Matt

Measure a loaded round and subtract 2 or 3 thousandths. I like more tension so I can load in the rifling and not pull a bullet. Also so recoil doesn't move bullets in the Magazine. Sometimes more tension is more accurate. SAMMI is max chamber dimension. If your loaded round measures .307 I would order a .305 and a .304. Matt

Yup. Also I don't think the nitrite bushings are worth the extra money. The coated still need lube.

Savage101,
Redding told you right. Measure across the neck of a LOADED round and subtract .001-.002 for the bushing size you need . For a Hunting rifle get one .003 under too. As the brass gets some firings on it may take a smaller bushing size to get the same neck tension as when the brass was new due to increased " spring back" of the neck. Start with the .001 under and load a couple dummy rounds and note the COAL. Place them in the magazine then fire a couple loaded rounds and measure COAL again for bullet set back or setting out. If this is the case then try the .002 under bushing and repeat test. If you have a or are using the rifle as a single shot due to Cartridge over all length (COAL) then start with the .001 and group test . Then the .002 and so on to see if load like more or less neck tension. This is usually the last load testing operation you do.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.