Help with 300 RUM

Went to the range today. I was in a bit of a hurry and havent gotten an OAL gauge yet but I figured I would load up some 210 VLDs anyways.. I set them at the absolute longest I could get them to fit in the magazine (in this case 3.675") loaded 5 at 90 grains, 5 at 91, and 5 at 92. (I do 5 shots because that way I can screw up with 2 of them and still have a good 3 shot group) The 90s gave me a group just outside an inch without a sled. Decided to put the next 2 on the sled and got just under and inch with 91s and then just under a half inch with the 92s. So I think I have found the load I am going to hunt with. I will find someone with a chrony at some point and make some ballistics charts. I dont know if it was the extra 75 thousandths, the different bullets, readjusting my trigger, or really taking my time with the sled that made the difference but my gun shot much better today than it ever has. Once again thank you for all the advice.

Also, anyone know what kind of velocities I might be getting out of that load? I'm really hoping to have that bullet moving faster than 3000 fps? I know the difference in seating depth can affect that.. and the barrel length too (mine is 26" 1:10" twist)

My rifle (32" barrel) shoots 3250 with 91grains of Retumbo and the 208Amax. Taking all things into consideration (bullet, barrel length and powder charge), I think you will be getting 2900+ (and by + I mean darn close to 3000)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.