300 rum help

Thank you!

When I go in from the shop I'll get in the journal and get you data. Looking forward to your results.

Steve

having problems finding a load for a factory rem 700 300 RUM with 26" barrel. Leupold vx3 3.5-10x40 with leupold mounts All I am trying to find is something less than1 moa. I have shot two factory loads. One was a Barnes I think 180g tsx that shot 1.5" @ 100 and a Remington core lock level one that was sub moa but a reduced load.

Here are the reloads I have tried, all between 1.5-3" at 100 yards

All with Remington brass, loaded to book col and fed gm215m primers

190g sierra match king Rl 25 @ 89, 90, 91, 92g

185g Berger vld hunting H1000 @ 89,90, 91g

168g nosler ablr. H1000 @ 95, 96, 97g

150g Hornady btsp. Imr 7828 @ 92, 93, 94g

165g sierra match king Imr 7828 @ 87, 88, 89g

165g Barnes tsx. Imr 7828 @ 87, 88, 89g

185 Berger classic hunter Imr 7828 @ 86, 87, 88g

Any ideas where to go? I just scrubbed the barrel down again so I've got a clean slate to start with.
I have owned 5 senderos in .300 RUM. None shot to their potential with magazine length cartridges. Load to the lands and increase the seating depth about .020 every 3 shots until it gets pretty good . Then you can fine tune in .005 increments either way.Once your OAL is found, you can install an extended length magazine box if needed. They will usually shoot better than .5moa . All of mine have magazine boxes that will accept 4 inch long cartridges. The factory mag box will only take a 3.6 inch long cartridge.

I have a buddy who was having issues with his 700 CDL 7mm RUM... It had a perfect cold-bore zero. Pinwheel the bullseye... But shots 2 and 3 would be somewhere inside of a softball sized group. Nothing we tried worked, and he bought it used, so no warranty. So, we took it to my gunsmith, and had the rifle pulled apart, blueprinted, and rebarreled into a custom 7mm STW... Which he never got to shoot, ran into some money issues, and then sold to me for what he had in it.

So, my opinion, if you're having that big of issues with a factory barrel, snatch it off, have a gunsmith blueprint the action, rebarrel it with a good aftermarket barrel, bed the action, float the barrel, replace the trigger with an aftermarket unit, and then you should have a good rifle.

So, my opinion, if you're having that big of issues with a factory barrel, snatch it off, have a gunsmith blueprint the action, rebarrel it with a good aftermarket barrel, bed the action, float the barrel, replace the trigger with an aftermarket unit, and then you should have a good rifle.[/QUOTE]

That is what I did to my 300Rum. The only mistake was installing a 12 twist. Shoots 180 accubonds great but I am stuck at that weight. Sooner or later I will send it to Steve at hammer and let him have his way with it. I always followed MTMuley and that is why I use the accubonds and now he is a Hammer shooter. I wanted to shoot the heavier Hammers and was schooled by Steve and haven't sleped right since. My fault for not knowing twist rates before changing barrels. It is a fast barrel but I got it to shoot gas lines in PA.
Peddler PM sent

Thanks again for all of the suggestions. When I got home this evening I pulled the rifle out to check the torque of everything. The following numbers are where my wheeler far wrench broke the fasteners loose, I adjusted from 10lbs up in 5lb increments.

Stock action screws: 20in/lbs
Scope rings: 15in/lbs
Scope bases: 10in/lbs

So it looks like some of these accuracy issues could be related to the action and scope mounts.

I tightened everything up so now when the hammer hunters come in I will give it another shot. Thanks again

I got to start trying the hammer 181g bullets out with h1000.

I checked pressures from 89g-99g and 96-99 shot a 1" group.

I went out today to try loads between 95-98 and only was able to shoot 95 and 96 before the rain took over. Both shot 3/4" inch groups with two touching and the third kicked out to 3/4".

I hope to shoot the rest Thursday and see how they shoot. So far I think I might have found a load for this rifle. Thanks for all the help

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.