Help on caliber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man you guys rock!! I am so glad to be up and happy and back with you guys! It's been a long road but worth every minuet. Lol now there are so many choices on this thread!! My background before my divorce I have set up numerous 300 wins for long range work. And most recently had a 7stw . I know the old cliche I need a rifle that will kill anything small white tails to moose close and far . But lol if I'm being honest that's what I need. Of the choices here and on my own thinking here is the list I've come up with
1. 300 win
2. 7mm
3. 7stw
4. 280 AI
5. 30-06 AI
6. 338 win
7. 375 Ruger
8. 300 Rum
9. 300 prc
10.300 weatherby
So let's talk these . Thank you so much
Darrin
Call me old school if you like I don't mind at all, but out of the ones you list I'd narrow it down to the 30-06,300 Win. Mag and 338 Win. Mag., start looking at rifles you like that are chambered in these and then narrow rifle/cartridge down together from there. Use your budget and how the rifle fits and feels to you to make the chose and you will do just fine and be very happy. The plus side is you can all ways add another rifle latter on.

Just buy a 28 Nosler, shoot 180-195-197s and leave all other calibers in the dust. The 30 cals can't touch that setup. Do the math. Best hunting caliber especially for long range. Completely insane ballistics

30-06, 300 win mag, 7 mag. Any of those would be a solid choice. Plendy of ammo choices and plenty of gun. And none of them are going to be obsolete any time soon. Find a rifle you like that fits you well and it will probably be availabe in one of those. 06 will have softer recoil, 7 mag will shoot a touch flatter.

Okay,
Guys I love in a state where I can hunt elk every year with an over the counter tag . However I will have to put in to draw a deer tag which I will do but I know It will take a while to draw. Help me decide on caliber for my new rifle. Two years ago I went through a divorce and sold my rifles to fund my attorney. Now I am on my feet and ready to get back in the game a put some animals on the ground!! I just need your help!! Thank you so much

Darrin
I suggest a 300 win mag. Reloading components are easy to find and not overpriced like Lapua. Bullet selections over 200grns will do great on elk out to 1000 yards.

Okay first off man thank you all so much for your replies and help!!

Second here is a thought what about a
7mm-378 weatherby ..! Lol I would achieve this by necking down a 30-378. And shooting 175 grn and above bullets!! Now this is a thought

Darrin

Okay first off man thank you all so much for your replies and help!!

Second here is a thought what about a
7mm-378 weatherby ..! Lol I would achieve this by necking down a 30-378. And shooting 175 grn and above bullets!! Now this is a thought

Darrin
I've personally got the 30-378 and it's a go getter for sure. I would bet that if it were necked down to 7 mm it would flat toast a barrel fairly quickly for sure. But you ask it at the right place I'd bet someone on here has probably done it . But that would be pretty impressive for sure

Just buy a 28 Nosler, shoot 180-195-197s and leave all other calibers in the dust. The 30 cals can't touch that setup. Do the math. Best hunting caliber especially for long range. Completely insane ballistics

Plus, when you are finished with load development and getting your dope straightened out, you can look forward to those 500 remaining rounds of barrel life before you have to do it all over again;)

Plus, when you are finished with load development and getting your dope straightened out, you can look forward to those 500 remaining rounds of barrel life before you have to do it all over again;)

Well I would say, if it takes you 300-400 rounds to configure your DOPE, then maybe you should hang it up. Can get 800 easy out of a barrel. Let us all know when the last time you shot 800 with a WM. Doesn't happen. These hunting rigs will never touch that mark and you know it. It's just a talking point you love to point out since this cartridge dominates every other...

From the recommendations on this thread, its as if nobody has ever viewed a ballistic chart. First off, all of these 30-06 recommendations make me smile. Thats the most inferior of all the bunch listed...smh

Well I would say, if it takes you 300-400 rounds to configure your DOPE, then maybe you should hang it up. Can get 800 easy out of a barrel. Let us all know when the last time you shot 800 with a WM. Doesn't happen. These hunting rigs will never touch that mark and you know it. It's just a talking point you love to point out since this cartridge dominates every other...

Well....hmm ok. I did put a winking emoji after my comment so that my remark would be taken as joke and not as insult an to you or your beloved 28 but I guess that it didn't work.

Anyway, I didn't say that it would "309-400 rounds to get your dope" YOU SAID THAT. I said "enjoy your remaining 500 rounds," let's not put words in each other's mouths ok?

You don't seem to get sarcasm but my point was that the 28 has short barrel life...something for the OP to consider...that's all, no offense to any 28 livers here.

PS I have a hot-loaded 7mm Rem Mag with 2,500 rounds plus which still shoots clover leaves.

Well....hmm ok. I did put a winking emoji after my comment so that my remark would be taken as joke and not as insult an to you or your beloved 28 but I guess that it didn't work.

Anyway, I didn't say that it would "309-400 rounds to get your dope" YOU SAID THAT. I said "enjoy your remaining 500 rounds," let's not put words in each other's mouths ok?

You don't seem to get sarcasm but my point was that the 28 has short barrel life...something for the OP to consider...that's all, no offense to any 28 livers here.

PS I have a hot-loaded 7mm Rem Mag with 2,500 rounds plus which still shoots clover leaves.
Well said. Looks like some of you are missing the point. For the time being, this will be the OP's only rifle. The only one he has to work up a load for, get the dope, hunt, practice,and just enjoy shooting. I will also add it needs to be affordable to shoot often. Most of us have a safe full, more than capable of overlapping duties. My wife accuses me of even having one for dragonflies, and she is not wrong. The perfect rifle for the OP is one that he can enjoy. Shoot often, hunt with and just enjoy shooting. He has elk on the menu. Top contenders that meet his needs are 280AI, 7RM, and 300WM. .338 is in there too, but just not as much fun to just play with. When he is more able to branch out and afford specialty rifles is when the others come into play. BTW, my answer would be very different if he had several rifles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts