Caliber change........HELP!

Bryant will tell you what you want to hear, and then lie to you as he goes way overbudget on time..
I would definitely stay with a WSM cartridge. The action is set up for that.

What other cartridges are made in the WSM range? Are they options for your purposes? Eg .300wsm if you want to bigger.
Someone said 7mmsaum, my Smith is a fan of that cartridge and I like the 7's

I kinda wonder the same, I'd leave it as-is, maybe adjust handloads if a reloader. For the average TN deer hunting, I'd go with a smaller round, lighter gun, but that's me.

I know for some, deer hunting is sitting in a shooting box, covering a wide area. For that type, a heavier setup is just fine. For my style, a compact 20" gun is a favorite.
I've used this rifle previously for ridge to ridge hog hunting 800yd and in. I've been shooting 165gr matrix over rl26 with excellent results( consistent under 3/4 moa) However I cant get the bullets now. Maybe I'll just go to a faster twist barrel.

The heavy laminated stock is what was the greatest problem for me. I'd say ditch that first. I put a win featherweight on mine and now it handles great. The barrel has been slowly getting heavier, but all I want to do is re-barrel someday(maybe) with the same diameter barrel but fluted to save some weight. If I was re-barreling I would opt for a fast twist to have the heavies option.

Thinking to rebarrel my 270 WSM for the new Badlands BD-2 140 gr. or Hammer 156 gr HH.
Maybe a Bartlein Carbon 24" 5R 8-twist in their new harder stainless. Got one them already and it shoots amazing. You can send your action in to Bartlein and they will ream, throat and thread to your specs, then install it on your action.

I have found accuracy to be outstanding for both. You would be set with a serious elk rifle with these projos.

Alright guys. So I got a m70 win coyote .270wsm. I want to have it rebarreled. Who can I send it to? What cartridge, twist etc should I go with?
I just got a 270WSM together with a 7.5 twist have 400 175gr Sierra GKT hopping it does well the BC is pretty high on it should work pretty **** good at long range🤞🤞

What's wrong with what you have???? Does it shoot the 150 Grn bullets well?? Does it shoot the 170's well?? I agree with the guy who said, maybe a faster twist. Might want to look at the 6.8 Westerner from Winchester and compare it to 270 Win Short Mag.

What's wrong with what you have???? Does it shoot the 150 Grn bullets well?? Does it shoot the 170's well?? I agree with the guy who said, maybe a faster twist. Might want to look at the 6.8 Westerner from Winchester and compare it to 270 Win Short Mag.
Pretty sure the WSM will out-perform the 6.8 Westerner. Maybe not for efficiency. IMHO I'd stick with the WSM for hunting. (opinion) :)

Just my cents stay with the 270wsm . We have one in Kimber Mountain. Got it for Jill when Winchester would not replace our 25wssm. One of the best carry rifles for mountain hunting. I had it NIB and was went to a Gun Show and couldn't get $1,100. This was 10 years ago. Now I wouldn't sell it. Shot a 8 point doe in NY with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 83
If it matters, the only thing with the WSM is you'll be looking at a long action with the heavies. 6.8 Western is made to run them in short - I think.

I put a 1:8 twist barrel on my 270 WSM and it's a monster now! Eats up a lot of the "fad" cartridges coming out. You launch a 170 Berger out at 3000+ fps and it's a western hunters dream rifle. 165 ABLR's and 156 Hammers all humming along at 3k fps is a deadly combination for everything but grizzlies.